I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I found a Halloween costume for LG!
ka_ohno.jpg

That's not a costume. That's what koolaid does to a full grown man. Stop drinking it.

I gotta agree with this....well kinda. (you would be better off huffing the kerosene)

Many years ago I made the big pack of liquor quik with a huge restaurant size bag of sugar....I took it to over 80 proof with concentrating.

Just buy the hard booze, it's not worth it.
I have no plans to concentrate this past the alcohol produced during fermentation. I did name it something awful for a reason. :D

Allergic to cotton? You are so strange! :fro:

I have indeed. Always makes me shudder a little in rememberance of everbeer parties in college. I'd always bring something to drink, but watching people drink natty light with a shot of everclear in the bottom was still pretty gross.
Yeah, I've never even heard of anybody else with the allergy. What's really annoying is finding underwear and sheets that aren't cotton or cotton blend.

Honestly, if you're going to use it in a mix drink, you can sub it in for something else neutral like vodka. You just need to reduce the volume of it so the actual alcohol content is about the same. It isn't a sin. That way you have more space in the recipe for things that have flavor.

Now, natty light and everclear. That's a sin. :)
That sounds rough. I think I am allergic to "not cotton". I also have an extreme alergy to ****ty foreign made crap that gets gobbled up in this country.

I asked my wife to pick me up some pocket tees for work and she did, 100% cotton just like I like. Only problem, the pocket leaks on all four of the shirts she bought. I just ripped one off in frustration. How much more would I have to pay to have a sturdy pocket on my t-shirt? Is it the thread that's expensive or just that (NorthCrest made in India) thinks I won't notice? Well I noticed! I'm only buying shirts from china now. They cant sew worth a **** in India.
The upside is that since practically all of my clothes are either polyester, or polyester/rayon blends they don't ever need to be ironed. I actually don't own an iron. They last practically forever too. I've had a few of my button down shirts for ten years.

How does a pocket leak? did you pour a brew in it?

I did not and would not expect it to hold a beer but a pocket full of screws or wirenuts "leaking out" is not cool. It makes me look stupid. All the other construction guys are like "look at that guy with a shirt made in India. They don't have pockets over there"

Oh Yeah!, I've never even heard of anybody else with the allergy. What's really annoying is finding underwear and sheets that aren't cotton or cotton blend.

The upside is that since practically all of my clothes are either polyester, or polyester/rayon blends they don't ever need to be ironed. I actually don't own an iron. They last practically forever too. I've had a few of my button down shirts for ten years.

Non-absorbent underwear...hmmm.

I think my wife owns an iron but I'm pretty sure she doesn't know about it. I use them on the golf course.

I did not and would not expect it to hold a beer but a pocket full of screws or wirenuts "leaking out" is not cool. It makes me look stupid. All the other construction guys are like "look at that guy with a shirt made in India. They don't have pockets over there"

So it sounds like the pockets are too shallow and possibly to high up.

they still make clothes in America ya know...not many but there are some.

If we're bragging, I don't own an iron and have many cotton clothes over a decade old.

Where's my everclear reward?
That you wear every week? Interesting. I've never had a cotton shirt go more then three. Not without it starting to fall apart so I can't wear it to the office anymore. It took me a long time to figure out what I was allergic to. After all, who ever heard of being allergic to cotton?

Feel free to drink as much everclear as you like. I won't tell. :p

It sounds to me like they were sown like crap and the stitching in the corner came out when the weight of the metal was applied. I've had a few like that. It's freaking annoying when you're missing something that should have been in that pocket.

That you wear every week? Interesting. I've never had a cotton shirt go more then three. Not without it starting to fall apart so I can't wear it to the office anymore. It took me a long time to figure out what I was allergic to. After all, who ever heard of being allergic to cotton?

Feel free to drink as much everclear as you like. I won't tell. :p

Having a full closet and rotating sure. Overwashing is a clothes killer.

You're a first for a cotton allergy. (tips cap)

Sorry but I don't have any everclear at the moment, don't drink the stuff but I use it for extracts and cleaning.

No No...the bottom was compeletely un-sewn. I hope that's a proper word. Everything I put in just fell out the bottom. I tried several times with the same results.

Anyone else remember when Walmart used to advertise as selling US products? Not to derail the thread with my 'leftist' politics as I often attempt when I stay up too late.

Here's some American made clothing, right up the road from me. Although no FAQ on the web page makes me wonder where the fabric they use comes from. I'll admit to not owning any, I tend to get clothes at the thrift store or when I need new overalls from the seconds bin.

No No...the bottom was compeletely un-sewn. I hope that's a proper word. Everything I put in just fell out the bottom. I tried several times with the same results.

Ahh ok that's not what I was thinking. Well that's some shoddy craftmanship right there.

Actually reminds me of my favorite pair of jeans. I happened to leave a dog biscuit in the back pocket when I went out and my recently rescued gsd ate the pocket bottom out of them to get the biscuit. If I had a dollar for everything I put in that back pocket and fell directly to the ground I'd have nothing because that pocket has been registered nonexistent.

Anyone else remember when Walmart used to advertise as selling US products? Not to derail the thread with my 'leftist' politics as I often attempt when I stay up too late.

Here's some American made clothing, right up the road from me. Although no FAQ on the web page makes me wonder where the fabric they use comes from. I'll admit to not owning any, I tend to get clothes at the thrift store or when I need new overalls from the seconds bin.

I haven't been in a walmart for at least three years. There should be a dumpster at the exit so you can save yourself the cost of throwing it out at home.

"To Match Walton Heirs' Fortune, You'd Need to Work at Walmart for 7 Million Years" I found this quote on the internet=true. I hear the waltons are pretty stingy compared to other billionares. What should we do?

Yeah, I've never even heard of anybody else with the allergy. What's really annoying is finding underwear and sheets that aren't cotton or cotton blend.

Sounds like as good a reason as any to indulge in silk. :D

I overheat easily so I got myself a silk duvet last winter (breathes much better). It's such an improvement I wish I had done it sooner! Will probably get silk sheets sooner or later...

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, did I mention that I was annoyed that the $110 I spent was for only four shirts? One of which is a freaking t-shirt.

Leadgolem said:
Oh, did I mention that I was annoyed that the $110 I spent was for only four shirts? One of which is a freaking t-shirt.

I've got a couple merino wool shirts from when I still worked in the outdoor apparel industry and got stuff cheap or occasionally free from sales clinics. The shirts are getting religious, that is to say holey, but I'm going to wear them until they disintegrate because I'll never be able to justify an 85$ t-shirt.

I forgot to add pectic enzyme to my peach mead stuff. Does that even matter since it was just bottled juice? I can still add it if it's necessary. I forgot to put it in my apple cider once. I ended up adding it after the cider had been in the secondary for a couple weeks, and it still worked really well..

I think I am going to brew an Irish Red on Sunday. I have Mangrove West Coast yeast spinning now, so I'll have to make a small batch of something tomorrow night just to use it. Maybe I'll clean out my left over grains and make a hobo stew brew. I like that for a name.

I think I am going to brew an Irish Red on Sunday. I have Mangrove West Coast yeast spinning now, so I'll have to make a small batch of something tomorrow night just to use it. Maybe I'll clean out my left over grains and make a hobo stew brew. I like that for a name.

I don't think you can use that name unless you boil the beer in a tin foil pack in the camp fire. Though now that I say that, those are hobo dinners and not hobo stew.

I don't think you can use that name unless you boil the beer in a tin foil pack in the camp fire. Though now that I say that, those are hobo dinners and not hobo stew.

HoBrew! The beer must be boiled in a used 55 gallon drum over a wood fire fueled by discarded pallets and dunnage. Steep the hops using a sweat-soaked handkerchief tied into a bindlestiff.

I forgot to add pectic enzyme to my peach mead stuff. Does that even matter since it was just bottled juice? I can still add it if it's necessary. I forgot to put it in my apple cider once. I ended up adding it after the cider had been in the secondary for a couple weeks, and it still worked really well..
Probably not important. You can add it after you hit FG, it just takes a couple of days to work instead of the usual hour. If you need it anyway.

HoBrew! The beer must be boiled in a used 55 gallon drum over a wood fire fueled by discarded pallets and dunnage. Steep the hops using a sweat-soaked handkerchief tied into a bindlestiff.
Hmm, that's gross.

Started with the first image. Made the second with it. Thought you might like.

chicken-beer.jpg

thunderchicken.jpg

Any Wesley Willis fans?

Last edited by a moderator:
I made black cherry syrup tonight. It's ok, but I should have followed my first plan. I had intended to cook a gallon of black cherry juice down to 2 quarts, and then add between 8 and 16 cups of sugar. Depending on how thick the mix was getting. Well, once I realized how long it was going to take to reduce the juice in half, I decided to just make syrup from the juice. It's not bad, but it doesn't have the flavor intensity I would have liked. Oh well, I'll make some the other way once I've used the almost 2 gallons of syrup I just made... In a year or five...

Oh well, I'll make some the other way once I've used the almost 2 gallons of syrup I just made... In a year or five...

Make some Hurricanes:

1 oz orange juice
1 oz lemon juice
1 oz lime juice
1 oz cherry syrup
2 oz rum (or 3 oz, or maybe a bit more. White or dark rum is fine, get good stuff).
Crushed ice (ice cubes work OK too, but I like alcoholic Slurpees).

Back