Force carbonation and beergas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iluvbeer17

Reaction score
I am in the primary with a robust porter that will eventually be a vanilla porter. I am going to keg it and am thinking about using beer gas to serve. I have forced carbonated with co2. Is there anything different I need to do for beer gas?

You can force carbonate with the beergas, you just need to figure out what your mix is and increase the pressure accordingly. For instance, if its a 75% nitro/25% co2 mix and you want to carb at 8psi, you'd want the beergas pressure to be at 32 psi (32psi x 25% = 8psi).

On the other hand, if you've got a free hose on your CO2, I think a lot of people go ahead and carb as usual with the CO2, then switch over to the beergas once its fully carbed. Mostly I think its due to the fact that beergas is more expensive and if you can save it you'll save yourself a little bit of cash.

beergas is mostly for pushing beer thru long lines, as you would if you were serving from a beer cellar some distance from a bar.

as mentioned, you just have to calculate the partial pressure of the CO2 to determine how much total pressure you need to maintain the desired volumes of CO2.

if you dont have very long lines though, and need to serve at a low pressure (like 10psi), you will find that the disolved CO2 volumes will drop pretty low after a while. that is because at 10psi total pressure, you really only have 2 or 3 PSI partial pressure of CO2.

if you dont have very long lines though, and need to serve at a low pressure (like 10psi), you will find that the disolved CO2 volumes will drop pretty low after a while. that is because at 10psi total pressure, you really only have 2 or 3 PSI partial pressure of CO2.

So this is something I've been wondering about. I'm in the process of setting up my beergas system, and wasn't sure about the line length. Does the restrictor plate in the stout tap mean that you don't have to worry about line length and can serve at 30psi on 10ft lines? Really, you want enough pressure to force the beer through the plate so that it does foam in a controlled manner. Or should you still balance the lines like usual so that you can still force it at 30psi through the restrictor plate (leading to 20ft lines or so)?

The 10 ft. line shoul be enough, the restrictor plate in stout faucet will provide enough resistance. You will need 35-40 psi of 75/25% @38F to maintain 1.3 to 1.5 volumes of
co2, which is what Guinness carb's to. Hope that help's!! Cheers!!!

Does the restrictor plate in the stout tap mean that you don't have to worry about line length and can serve at 30psi on 10ft lines?

you dont get to ignore the pressure completely, but the restrictor plate makes it not as critical. if the pressure is low, the restrictor plate wont be doing its job. but at the same time if the pressure is rediculously high, it will foam the beer like crazy.

you just dont have to be *as* careful and exact in calculating line legnth:.pressure. there will still be a sweet spot when you get a really good pour.

I carb with CO2 and serve on 75/25 beer gas blend. Temp is 38, 28 psi, 5' beer line. Pours like a champ.

Beach

Back