The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems there's an impending vote to bin the early close of the English window and go back with the rest of Europe. Can't say I'm opposed. I'd sooner see all of Europe move to the earlier deadline, but I don't see that happening.

Looks like no major Spurs departures. I don't think even the Wanyama deal went through, let alone Jan Toby or Eriksen.

Hopefully the mind games stop.

Also seems there was a little aggro between supporters as BVB handed Union Berlin their first top flight win.

Well Llorente leaving on a free. But he wasn't getting a new deal anyway.

But handled that with pure class.
FB_IMG_1567462455095.jpg

EEhi2O4XUAA70m_
looks like Secret Agent Side Show Bob is doing some work already. Personally I would have hoped he started his sabotage mission a bit later into the season

Kyle F***ing Walker in goal for City? I wish I'd been able to watch that.

Apparently Ederson subbed off as a precaution for injury, Bravo gets himself sent off, so Kyle Walker comes on as keeper?

I feel much more hopeful about our Champions League situation now. If we beat Olympiacos in London, we advance to knockout. And with a little luck actually find some form before that stage. I'm less optimistic about league.

Apart from a goal yesterday, I'm now in the "bench Eriksen" camp. He was atrocious against Everton. Basically did nothing but give away the ball.

Sounds like Andre Gomes will recover fully after surgery (live it initially looked like a compound fracture, at least it wasn't that). And Sonny's red card was rightfully rescinded on appeal. But doesn't get us the two points back, and VAR is still a disaster. Still played like sh** either way.

Gary Lineker's take (from Twitter):

Mauricio Pochettino has been sacked by @SpursOfficial. He helped the club to punch massively above their weight for years. Good luck with finding a better replacement....ain’t gonna happen.

That's very much where I'm at.

One thing I saw had Mourinho and Howe as joint favs among those particularly bookies to take over.

I do not want Jose. But I've said basically since Bournemouth came up if anyone replaces Poch I want Eddie Howe.

Southgate is another name I'm hearing. Hard pass.

Gary Lineker's take (from Twitter):

That's very much where I'm at.

One thing I saw had Mourinho and Howe as joint favs among those particularly bookies to take over.

I do not want Jose. But I've said basically since Bournemouth came up if anyone replaces Poch I want Eddie Howe.

Southgate is another name I'm hearing. Hard pass.
What about Scottie Parker?

If the club is dumb enough to hire Jose I will be in a full on crisis of faith.

I'd sooner see 'Arry or Tactics Tim come back.

I'll say it. I'd rather be relegated.

Ancelotti, Allegri, Rafa other names tossed about.

Rafa would be good. But that is almost a worse fit for the club than Mou would be on the business end.

And I read a hard to disagree with analysis (and lines up with why Howe is pragmatically a good fit). Poch fell out with Levy because of how Levy does business. Players fell out with Poch because of how Levy does business. And Howe would be the move for Levy- get decent results with shoestring budgets. Howe will play in Levy's box, and it's a move to a relative top side for him. But if Spurs want to actually compete for trophies instead of perennial also-rans (or best case runners up) that box has to break. And any manager worth replacing Poch with will see the same end until that happens.

Latest posts

Back