year old mead-dare I carbonate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volvodude

Reaction score
I have a mead that has been sitting in bulk storage for about 11 months. Dare I carbonate it, or would there be enough yeast hanging about to start fermentation again? I really would like to carbonate this particular mead, but if you wise sages suggest otherwise I won't. Please give me any advise.

If you provide recipe details (especially the ABV), that will help tremendously.

Without the recipe, go ahead and pitch some fresh, high-gravity yeast for bottling or transfer to a keg, cool, and carbonate. As long as it was sealed from the environment (airlock filled, stopper not ajar), it should be ok.

If your mead is sitting there at 17% ABV, the only thing that will work is force carbonation. This is why I ask for a bit more info. Tossing more yeast into a batch that doesn't restart only act as a "yeast fining" and may give you some yeasty flavors and cloudiness.

Sorry I took so long to get back to this-work, family,etc.The recipe was 14 lbs various honeys. The ABV worked out to 13%. I used D-47 yeast. Actually I have not even tasted this thing since my first racking. Hope that helps.

What's the current gravity of the batch? Does it have residual sugar? If it is dry, it is still possible for the D47 to carbonate, but at that level of ABV, they may not be able to restart so it isn't a sure thing by any means. If this batch is not dry, the current D47 aren't going to do any more than they have already and if you want to carbonate, you'll need to acclimate a Champagne yeast like EC-1118 to get it done.

The current gravity is 1.000. Fairly dry for sure. I can't remember what it tasted like to tell you if it was indeed dry. Carbing it is not a necessity. I just thought it might be nice to try it that way. I suppose I could attempt to carb a gallon and see if it works. If not. then at least I don't ruin the whole batch. Thanks for following this thread and helping me work this out.

I love the effervescence myself. Maybe take the time and money and try the force carbonate. Sweet bubbly melomel, the ladies can't stay away;)

I love the effervescence myself. Maybe take the time and money and try the force carbonate. Sweet bubbly melomel, the ladies can't stay away;)[/QUOTE]

That is true. :drunk: I always try to make at least half of each new batch sparkling and a wee bit sweet. I just love it. However, I carbonate with honey added at the time of bottling. I follow the 1/2 cup per 5 gallon rule, except for this last time when I miscalculated and added 2 tablespoons instead of 1. I have never had any problems or bottle bombs yet.

Heck Yeah MeadWitch:rockin:

I've been experimenting with peach juice concentrate to really get the peach flavor into it. The only down side is I've got to wait to see how my experiments worked

I've had really good luck with Blackberry Peach Melomel, still just a bare hint of peach though sweet and fizzy though:D

Heck Yeah MeadWitch:rockin:

I've been experimenting with peach juice concentrate to really get the peach flavor into it. The only down side is I've got to wait to see how my experiments worked

I've had really good luck with Blackberry Peach Melomel, still just a bare hint of peach though sweet and fizzy though:D

Sounds awesome to me. I've got some peaches in the freezer just waiting to be put into a mead. Gonna try a sweet jalapeno-peach, maybe add a couple slices of ginger while I am at it. Gonna start a large batch, then divide it at secondary over peaches and green imperial plums.

that sounds fantastic MeadWitch, the bite of the peppers and the ginger will bring out the sweetness and flavors. Ever try mint or green tea?

volvodude, how much mead are you talking about? Bottles? Gallons? Kegs? I would say carbonate regardless because I love the bubbly, but if you have a large volume you could force carbonate in a keg

It's about a 4-1/2 gallon batch. Unfortunately I don't have the kegging capacity to force carbonate. I think I might just use the same yeast I fermented with and give it a whirl- perhaps with just half the batch in case I screw something up. Thank you everyone for your input.

My suggestion would be to take some and put it in a PET plastic soda bottle, and add a little honey or sugar. If it ferments, the bottle will become firm as pressure builds and you'll know it will work in the bottle. I suspect that the D47 won't be able to do any more than it has.

If it doesn't work, pitching in more D47 will be of no help. At 13% ABV the new yeast will be shocked into oblivion. If you want to carbonate it, you will need a strong yeast that is capable for restarts - my suggestion would be Uvaferm 43, but if you can't get that, EC-1118 (or Premier Cuvee) would be the next best. Even with this yeast, if you just rehydrate and pitch it in the alcohol may be too much. You would be better served to may a small starter and add some of the current mead to it to acclimate the yeast to the environment that it will be pitched into. After pitching, follow it to see if the gravity drops - 1.000 is not dry. When it is dry, then you can add priming sugar (or honey) and bottle.

Medsen

Back