recommendations on propane burners...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on propane burners. This one jumped out at me:

http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/kab4_banjo_burner.htm

bckab4_outdoor_propane_burner.jpg

Available from Home Depot, at least online. Looks like it kicks 210k BTUs. Looks nice and big and solid (it'll be holding a keg).

Any thoughts or other recommendations?

EDIT: From Amazon:

This powerful, high-pressure outdoor propane stove features a 10-inch cast-iron burner that emits a minimum 210,000 BTUs, making it one of Bayou Classic's hottest stoves. As a result, large pots of water heat very quickly. In fact, the 17-inch spread on the grill arms holds pots up to a whopping 120 quarts in size. Designed with a height of only 9-3/4 inches for safety, the one-piece welded steel stove is very stable and eminently portable.

I have it and it does Kick A. Fast!
Only downside its that it's hard to maintain temps below say, 165. I have alot of wind here so a shield of some sort is the answer.

Well, I have an electric fryer that I'm going to re-purpose to just heat mash water, so this will just be used to boil. It's nice and stable?

the_bird said:
Well, I have an electric fryer that I'm going to re-purpose to just heat mash water, so this will just be used to boil. It's nice and stable?

It's stable. I think the doc say it's rated for boils up to 100 gallons.

You can crank out enough gas to have flames licking all the way up the sides of any keg you use (just 'cause you can).

As an aside for all of you that have propane burners, go out and get a big ass wok. It'll make you feel like you own your own Chinese Bistro. The heat these things crank out and the fact that you are outdoors allows you to do some awesome wokking without worry about heating up the kitchen or creating smells. It's a good way to multi-purpose a brew item and get some SWMBO signoff.

olllllo said:
As an aside for all of you that have propane burners, go out and get a big ass wok. It'll make you feel like you own your own Chinese Bistro. The heat these things crank out and the fact that you are outdoors allows you to do some awesome wokking without worry about heating up the kitchen or creating smells. It's a good way to multi-purpose a brew item and get some SWMBO signoff.

That's an awesome thought.

I have one. Big-ass, cast iron wok. It was a present that one of my wife's students gave her, but I have barely used it since we moved to the house (we used to have a gas stove, now only electric).

Oh, Dude, I'm hitting the Depot and buying this thing... :D

17 inch spread??? Holy Moly, BatMan. I just got one at work. A buddy of mine took the gas heat element of an old water heater, welded it to a cut out steel 16 inch wheel from a car, and then welded for legs on it. This thing weighs a ton, but it doesn't have that afterburner jet blast sound, which I hate and makes things pretty loud in the garage.

what kind of efficeincy you get with that bayou classic? right now I have a run of the mill burner and get about 5 brews off it

I can't say for certain because I don't have a dedicate tank :. Im always starting with a partial.

Also, I can't stop the urge to make it look like a nitro burning funny car.:D

This burner is the standard!! I have one and you can boil 5 gallons in about 10 minutes. compared to the turkey burners of which I have several it is almost silent. If you turn this sucker up to get a rolling boil and then turn it down after the hot break you can get about 4 to 5 brew sessions. I don't figure propane efficency because if your going to BREW your going to BREW, fuel efficency is the least of my worries!!! you can just fit a 15.5 gallon keggle on it with a little room to spare. This thing is probably the last burner I'll ever need...NOT. You see I have this addiction to burners and I have way to many about 8 or 9 or 10 butttt... the next burner is the BEST one you know what I mean? WAIT A MINUTE this is an addiction within an addiction. NOW I have it figured out?

Great to hear!

This really looks ideal. A little bit more of an investment up-front than some of the other models, but looks like it's worth it. Thanks!

FWIW in support of my LHBS I bought a 64,000 BTU burner for $79.99. I ran a test boil on seven gallons of water and it took me 45 min. to reach a boil.:(

Definitely want to make sure you have enough BTU's.

Believe me this thing kicks out the BTU's, when running full out you can have flames all the way up to the brewmometer on a Sabco kettle!!!!!!:ban:

Back