batch sparge cooler size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd

Reaction score
From what I've been reading lately if you do a batch sparge the bigger the cooler the better, I guess grain bed depth is not as important?

I have what I think is a 72 qt rectangle cooler, the thing is pretty huge, would that work with enough grain for a 5 gallon batch? What about a 10 gallon? I'm kicking around trying an All grain and I'd like to just use the cooler I have.

Will using it as a mash tun ruin it for cooler duty? I figure it should only take a minute to put the stock spout back on if I ever need it. I rarely use it but you never know.

Thanks

72qt would be fine for 10 gallons. Figuring 2 quarts per pound of grain that would work for all but the heaviest ales. I use my 60 qt "Ice Cube " as a cooler, fermenting cabinet, mash tun, hot tank; depends on the need.

Batch sparging usually involves stirring the bed to dissolve sugars, so bed depth doesn't matter.

david_42 said:
72qt would be fine for 10 gallons. Figuring 2 quarts per pound of grain that would work for all but the heaviest ales. I use my 60 qt "Ice Cube " as a cooler, fermenting cabinet, mash tun, hot tank; depends on the need.

Batch sparging usually involves stirring the bed to dissolve sugars, so bed depth doesn't matter.

Great thanks.

I'm currently using it as a fermentation tank also, holds the water nice and with some ice I think it helps maintain a lower overall temp.

FWIW - I am in the process building up a 48qt rectangular Rubbermaid (Walmart $16) with copper manifold for my foray into all-grain. I was initially concerned about grain bed depth, which for a 5 gallon batch of "small beer" (8-9lbs of grain) would be an issue with continous sparging, so I was going to take it back and look for a 48qt Ice Cube. But I decided to go with batch sparging anyway so I am moving forward with construction on the rectagular. I figure that if I want to try continuous sparge later it would be fine for a beer with a larger grain bill (and I have yet to brew anything lower than 1.060). :)

Latest posts

Back