Filling Growlers From Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prost!

Reaction score
I'm going to a party this afternoon and taking some bottled HB with me. I also have two empty, 1-gallon growlers that I want to fill with two different kinds of HB that I have kegged. I've never done this before. Is there any trick to keeping the foam down while maintaining carbination when filling the growlers? I have metal screw tops that are supposedly air tight.

If you don’t have a beer gun then the best way I have found for filling growlers is. First chill the growler to the same temp as the beer. Second if you have a piece of tubing that will fit over your tap and reach the bottom of the growler use it to cut down on the foam. The third and final tip is to turn your serving pressure way down until the growler is full.

AHammer16 said:
And purge the growles w/ co2

Not really necessary if you will drink the beer shortly. You don't have to sanitize them either.

I found that turning down the serving pressure to 2-3 psi and tilting the bottle/growler when filling it is sufficient to maintain the CO2 level.

Kai

I fill mine with my CP filler... I bought a stopper that was the correct size and change that out...

Jsin said:
Second if you have a piece of tubing that will fit over your tap and reach the bottom of the growler use it to cut down on the foam.

I have found that this works best, you fill the growler from the bottom up, thus reducing your foam factor

Back