Yeast in Root Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewTech117

Reaction score
So my kids brewed up a 5 gallon batch of extract root beer. We let it carbonate for 1 week and everything was great. Only there is yeast or sediment in the 2 liter bottles. Is there a way to prevent this for their next batch. They think its "ikky" that things are "swimming" in it lol. I have tried to research this and aside from getting a keg system .... I am at a loss.

So my kids brewed up a 5 gallon batch of extract root beer. We let it carbonate for 1 week and everything was great. Only there is yeast or sediment in the 2 liter bottles. Is there a way to prevent this for their next batch. They think its "ikky" that things are "swimming" in it lol. I have tried to research this and aside from getting a keg system .... I am at a loss.

If you are naturally carbonating, you will have yeast in the root beer. Either you need to get the keg system, or you will have yeast in there. No way around it......

This is true. Anytime you are using yeast to carbonate you will be left with sediment at the bottom. The trick is to open the bottle and let it sit for a moment so it drops out again and or to pour slowly.

The only way to truly avoid the yeast is to carbonate with CO2. You can do this with a CO2 canister and a carbonator cap (which is just as fun in my opinion).

If you are naturally carbonating, you will have yeast in the root beer. Either you need to get the keg system, or you will have yeast in there. No way around it......

Latest posts

Back