Best place to buy good yet cheap yeast online

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LVBen

Reaction score
Any suggestions as to where to get cheap dry ale yeast? Some places have flat shipping, and the cost for 1 packet of yeast from them is like $13 ($3 + $10 S&H).

Why can't I find somewhere that sells yeast for $1 and throws it in an envelope with a 44 cent stamp?

Some day, I might start experimenting with reusing yeast to save money, but for now, I'd be happy with as much as $2 for 1 packet. Or even $15 for 10 packets.

Or what if I use baker's yeast from the grocery store? According to Wikipedia, it is likely to be very similar.

Gitcha some SNPA...drink bout 12 of em and collect the yeast...its almost free.

Oh yeah.. I forgot about that method... I've already got some in my fridge. Do you think I could get a starter going with just 1 bottle of SNPA?

EDIT: I think I saw a video the other day about how do it well with just 1 bottle.

Yeah? You tried baker's yeast before?

Have not personally, but beers that I've had were done with baker's yeast were definitely not the right flavor profile.

Put a quick request into craigslist, and I'm sure that some locals will help you out. If not, just call some random LHBS and they'll probably be able to do it for you.

Back