Unitronics V350 / Sabco Brew Magic alternative

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad2157

Reaction score
Really love several features that Sabco has incorporated on the Brew Magic. Unfortunately I won't be able to afford one for a long, long, long time. One feature I really want to incorporate on my two burner LP gas brew stand is to add a RIMS tube and add a PLC for a set up like the Brew Magic uses, such as manually lighting the propane burners (for now anyways), then have the PLC control the heat during the mash with electric RIMS tube. The Unitronics touch screen PLC that Sabco uses is almost $1k alone. I am sure I can replicate something much, much cheaper, despite not knowing much about PLCs or HMI. Seems that a raspberry pi and/or an arduino would be a great start on a much cheaper budget. I'm also hoping to design my own layout for the interface / menu as well. I know I have a lot of learning to do, but I'm challenging myself to make it happen. I like that I can also go with a larger touchscreen if wanted.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or provide pictures of the inside control panel enclosure of the Brew Magic? I've scoured the web, only to find maybe 2 pictures of the inside and I can't tell what type of PLC equipment is being used along side the V350 touchscreen unit.

I guess I should have also explained my reasoning behind wanting to do this.

1. I already have a square metal tubing brew stand with LP gas burners

2. I'm renting a house and I only have 120V electrical outlets in the garage (Perfect for just maintaining the heat using RIMS)

3. I like gadgets and challenges and building stuff

Back