Beer Tasting Class/ Seminar in NJ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody189

Reaction score
Do they exist? I'm just starting in the hobby (brewing 2nd batch) and want to learn about different flavors in beer and the different types. For example, I would like to taste 2 similar beers side by side, but one with more/less/different ingredients so I can learn what each flavor is.

I found different beer classes, but none in NJ. I'm thinking about going to The Village Pour House class in NY, but I don't feel like going to NY.

Anybody know of any classes?

where in NJ?

If you find a local homebrew club, there are plenty of beers at the meetings to do tastings and educate your palate, at our last meeting of the Barley Legal Homebrewers, I think we had over 30 beers to taste, they were arranged by styles w/recipe's included so we could get an idea what we were tasting

some other NJ clubs here:

http://clubs.homebrewtalk.com/State/New_Jersey/

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/directories/find-a-club
I live in north Jersey, North Bergen area.

the 2nd link didn't work, but the first one was good. I didn't realize they were mostly free, and for, and actually encourage inexperienced brewers. I think this will be my best bet. Thanks.

As mentioned homebrew clubs will offer opportunities like this.

Also consider taking a BJCP exam in your area (note: they tend to fill up fast). Nearly every exam will have a class associated with it.
http://www.bjcp.org/exams.php

I will have to see if there are any classes, but I'm too sure about the test. I think I would just embarrass myself, and I'm not sure I would really learn anything. except from studying. If they have a review course though, I would take it, assuming it's not a lot of keesh

MBA program at Cloverleaf Tavern in Caldwell.

That's pretty cool. It's about a 1/2 hr drive from me. It would definitley learn what each type of beer tastes like. But I was wondering, have you actually taken part in it? If each beer has a detailed description, then it would really help a lot more.

Thanks for the suggestions. I spent a few hours looking up some classes but came up short.

I finished the MBA and am working on my PHD. The MBA beers don't really have descriptions, but they are all common beers you can look up online. The PhD list does give descriptions of each beer. It cool and well worth it. The stuff they give you as you go along ends up being about $1 a beer, so you are getting a decent discount. Plus once you complete the MBA, there is a special night every month for you with prizes, discounts and specials.

I finished the MBA and am working on my PHD. The MBA beers don't really have descriptions, but they are all common beers you can look up online. The PhD list does give descriptions of each beer. It cool and well worth it. The stuff they give you as you go along ends up being about $1 a beer, so you are getting a decent discount. Plus once you complete the MBA, there is a special night every month for you with prizes, discounts and specials.

That sounds really cool. I might actually do it. I just wish they were closer. I actually go to school in Piscataway, so it's even further from there.

thanks

Latest posts

Back