Do Belgian Yeasts vary much? Worth the extra cost?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just remember to aerate really well. that's helped me get a couple of extra points of attenuation with extract beers

Okay. Pulled the T58 out after 4 weeks on the primary.

It too measured 1.020 FG. And this yeast finished fast like in less than a week (activity) and the krausen was was clean (not a whole lot of mess). The beer was darker than the Wyeast 1388, but similar to the T33.

All 3 yeast types ended up at about 1.020 FG. All the LME came from the same 33 LB jug.

I am storing the T58 for 4 plus weeks in the bottles.

The taste test results will come soon.

I plan to buy a Duvel so I will know how aweful my beer really is. But who knows, I may like it differently.

Either way... I'll post a reply and pictures after tasting a few.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Extract usually has a relatively high unfermentable content. If the wort is unfermentable, it doesn't matter how attenuative the yeast is.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Extract usually has a relatively high unfermentable content. If the wort is unfermentable, it doesn't matter how attenuative the yeast is.

1) You were right Denny. All 3 yeast types ended up with the same FG after 4 weeks... even with the temp above 80 towards the end.

The same LME from the 33 lb jug seems to be the reason for this.

This is almost makes a good case to not use LME over all grain.

2) My other other question is... can boiling the LME for more or less time effect the color?

1.) Gee, you seem surprised! ;) You can add more sugar to increase the fermentability. When I've designed extract recipes for Northern Brewer, I've had to add sugar that isn't in the AG version in order to hit the correct FG and mouthfeel.

2.) Yep

Thanks Denny. You have proved to be quite knowledgeable.

Back