Festbier BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale (AG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This recipe calls for Munich malt 20l. I have an order I'm going to place with rite brew but they only have Munich 8-12L. Will this be a good substitute. I'm new to all grain brewing and have trouble subbing malts. Any good reads on this subject? If anyone has time and could look at my cart I have attached a photo. Just like to make sure I'm ordering the right ingredients.View attachment 369846

I'll be using the same Munich malt as you (20L is tough to find.) Besides from the color, I wouldn't anticipate it changing the beer much.

This recipe is from 2007.When long primary and secondaries were in style,it calls for 6 weeks.Nowadays is this a 2 week grain to glass beer using us 04 yeast?
It certainly could be. My last two 5 gallon batches have gone 2 wks in the primary 1 wk cold crashed with gelatin and to the keg for a wk to carb at 13psi. Could forgo the cold crash and keg after 14 days and force carb if you wanted. Would be fine. Bottling would need the 3 wks to carb up in the bottle. I use the German ale yeast and can get it done in 3 wks if rushed but I can wait a wk to let the set and forget carb method do its thing.

Brewed two simultaneous batches with a buddy from work. One mashing in a bag for filter and batch sparging and the other mashing in a pot with braided hose and fly sparging. S04 has taken off like a shot on both batches. I switched up the hopping a bit just for kicks (Mt Hood, Tettnanger and Hallertauer Mittelfruh respectively in order) but this is one of the best tasting worts yet. And best looking. Can't wait for this to hurry up and finish.

Kegged and carbed slightly! Used gelatin for about 24 hrs before i kegged. Turned out sooooo good and clear!!

Nice looking glass of brew there. Mine will be going into bottles tomorrow.

When did you brew yours? I did mine last Saturday (7 days ago) and it's completely stopped airlock activity 3 days ago. Was debating bottling tomorrow. Sample still tastes pretty green but no real difference in secondary vs bottles I guess...

When did you brew yours? I did mine last Saturday (7 days ago) and it's completely stopped airlock activity 3 days ago. Was debating bottling tomorrow. Sample still tastes pretty green but no real difference in secondary vs bottles I guess...
I brewed mine 6 days ago and it's going into the keg tomorrow..now that's a quick turnaround!!!
Just pulled a sample for a gravity test and hit 1.018. 04 yeast drops like a rock.
Sample tastes good,a little spicy mixed with carmel.Should be a good easy drinker

I brewed mine 6 days ago and it's going into the keg tomorrow..now that's a quick turnaround!!!

Just pulled a sample for a gravity test and hit 1.018. 04 yeast drops like a rock.

Sample tastes good,a little spicy mixed with carmel.Should be a good easy drinker

I hit 1.060 on my OG and it only dropped to 1.020...67% attenuation which is low for 04 but apparently common. Still a 5.25% which is in the area we were shooting for but Was hoping to get down to 1.018 or 1.016 just so it's not too sweet, though the sample today tastes amazing but still green. Can't wait to bottle and start conditioning tomorrow.

Mine was brewed on 9/10/16 I hit 1.059 way better efficiency than I had expected. Got down to 1.016 I also showed no airlock activity after 3 days but decided to let it sit and clean up.

Definitely still pretty green tasting but mighty tasty otherwise. Will give it a try after 2 weeks in the bottle.

Oktoberfest Recipe
Octoberfest Recipe

Let’s face it. Anyone who knows my brewing habits know that patience is not one of my stronger qualities. Brew something in March and wait until October to drink it? Not likely. I just finally got around to tasting a commercial (Sam Adams) Oktoberfest last week. Unfortunately I shared with some friends and family and they loved it. Now I’m on the hook to produce something in time for Halloween. That gives me a little over 6 weeks to come up with a fast…tastes like…Oktoberfest beer using an ale yeast.

Lots of malt. Lots of sweet. Little to no hops aroma. Right at 5% ABV.

If I can mash this at around 156-158 and use a lower attenuating ale yeast, I can probably get this beer to finish around 1.017-18 from a 1.051 starting point. After one full week in the primary, I’ll still have 4 weeks to secondary and then a week to chill/carb in the keg.

Wish me luck.

View attachment 2646

Batch Size: 11.25 gal
Boil Size: 13.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 12.7 SRM
View attachment 2645
Estimated IBU: 20.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 67.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
8.50 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM
5.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
4.00 lb Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
2.00 oz Tettnang [3.20%] (60 min)
1.00 oz Tettnang [3.20%] (45 min)
1.00 oz Tettnang [3.20%] (30 min)

Will likely use a dry Safale-04 since it won't ferment as dry and I'm tryin to preserve some malt profile.
Do you think it would be possible to do a Dunkel using an ale yeast? Looking to make one but have zero patience:)

I did a blind taste test with my wife. Sam Adams Oktoberfest Vs octoberfast .she picked the homebrew. And she loves the Oktoberfest .

I did a blind taste test with my wife. Sam Adams Oktoberfest Vs octoberfast .she picked the homebrew. And she loves the Oktoberfest .

I think this beer is very comparable to the Sam Adam's version, but a bit better! A few people who've had mine say they like it better than the SA version!

Brewed this 2 weeks ago Saturday but the LHBS was out of Vienna :( so subbed in Marris Otter, so it's not gonna be quite the same. I also swapped in Sazz because it's a noble hop and I've got to use it as It's been in the freezer for too long already.

Was done in 3 days, cold crashed, kegged the next Weekend. I know with the grain sub it's gonna be different, but the keg sample tasted GREAT. Can't wait to try it once it's carbed up.

After a week of drinking this beer I'm on the fence. It's a bit lack luster.It's drinkable no doubt but it seems week and somewhat flavorless.It needs more body and caramel flavor.As a lighter beer I guess you get what you pay for but I'm left needing more.

Brewed this 2 weeks ago Saturday but the LHBS was out of Vienna :( so subbed in Marris Otter, so it's not gonna be quite the same. I also swapped in Sazz because it's a noble hop and I've got to use it as It's been in the freezer for too long already.

Was done in 3 days, cold crashed, kegged the next Weekend. I know with the grain sub it's gonna be different, but the keg sample tasted GREAT. Can't wait to try it once it's carbed up.

It's all carbed up and man it's a tasty beer. All the BMC drinkers LOVE it, tons of biscuit, bready, malt goodness with just enough hops to balance it out. Crisp, clean and refreshing.

Fined with gelatin so it's crystal clear and looks like a proper Octoberfest beer.

I have a feeling this ones not gonna last long.

Finally got around to making this. Took the day off, made an 11 gal batch, followed the recipe exactly and got 1.055. I like these beers in late fall so I'm looking forward to it.

I was hoping my 10 gallons would last till Halloween....

It is comparable to the FatHeads Octoberfest .

it really is a great beer.

One week in the fermenter and it's at 1.014. I was expecting a little closer to the 1.020 range. It tastes good--even uncarbonated. I figure to leave it another week before transferring to keg. Any suggestions?

I brewed this on Monday and by weds night the yeast had fallen out and the top had almost no bubbles so i took a reading, it was at 1.018 from 1.065 in just 3 days! It tasted amazing so I let it sit and put it in cold crash this morning, Adding gelatin tonight!

One week in the fermenter and it's at 1.014. I was expecting a little closer to the 1.020 range. It tastes good--even uncarbonated. I figure to leave it another week before transferring to keg. Any suggestions?

Make sure to cold crash it.

First 2 pints are a bit murkey by the end of the night it's perfect.
It ages fine,but f plan on drinking it right away

If anyone is wondering, this is ridiculously good as a lager with wlp830. 12 gallons is 60% gone in a little over a month since being tapped.

Mine is pretty decent as well. Came up short in the OG, but my yeast worked until it dropped to 1.008. Came in at 5%ABV. A little drier than I would care for, but it's still a good drinker. I think I would adjust my mash temperature when I next brew it so I can keep some of that sweetness.

I deleted some of the recipe from Beersmith so I don't even remember the strain of yeast I used or the hops. :( I presume the yeast was either S-04 or 05, whichever comes out cleaner. Hops were all Hallertauer and Tettnang.

I brewed this beer a little over a month and a half ago. Drinking the last of the keg as I type. This beer was a bit hit with me and everyone that has tried it. I will be brewing 10 gallons next year.

Thank you for the recipe! :mug:

I have to say that I am extremely impressed with this beer. 2 weeks in the bottle and it is fully carbed but still a bit green. Malt flavour is wonderful yet still "beer-y" enough to keep from getting bored. Fantastic brew.

I just kegged this a couple days ago. It's been carbing in the keezer for 48 hours. Tasted a sample yesterday and it has more of an Apple-ish off flavor to it, so I think it's still pretty green (I hope). I brewed it on 9/18. OG was 1.055. FG was 1.028 which I was a little surprised by. I thought it would have been lower since it's been done with primary for a couple weeks. Fermented steady at 68F in a conical. Purged trub a couple times. Will keep it chilling for a couple weeks and taste along the way and hope for improved flavor profile. Certainly not a bad tasting beer, just has some maturing to do. Anyone else get that apple flavor at first?

I just kegged this a couple days ago. It's been carbing in the keezer for 48 hours. Tasted a sample yesterday and it has more of an Apple-ish off flavor to it, so I think it's still pretty green (I hope). I brewed it on 9/18. OG was 1.055. FG was 1.028 which I was a little surprised by. I thought it would have been lower since it's been done with primary for a couple weeks. Fermented steady at 68F in a conical. Purged trub a couple times. Will keep it chilling for a couple weeks and taste along the way and hope for improved flavor profile. Certainly not a bad tasting beer, just has some maturing to do. Anyone else get that apple flavor at first?

I had a couple batches end around 1.020 as well. Seemed a bit green fur the first few days in the keg but treated great after about a week.

Finally got around to making this. Took the day off, made an 11 gal batch, followed the recipe exactly and got 1.055. I like these beers in late fall so I'm looking forward to it.

9 day fermentation, 2 day cold crash, kegged yesterday. FG was 1.020. Higher than I'm used to but I mashed at 156 and used S04. Nonetheless, hydro sample was fantastic. Looking forward to enjoying once carbonated. Planning on enjoying during trick or treat!

Tapped the keg this evening and it's almost empty. Everyone gave it rave reviews, even the non beer drinkers. Thank you BierMuncher for the great recipe!

I've got a question about this one. I did 5 gallons on October 1st. Went a little heavy on the boil and I think my efficiency was higher than anticipated and ended up with ~4.5 gallons at an OG of 1.068. Fermented with 05 but it only got down to 1.020. Cold crashed it with gelatin and transferred to a keg last Sunday. Tried a couple samples since then and it is very sweet. Almost to the point of cloying. I think it's sweeter than any commercial example I've had this year at least. Just wondering if this is how this recipe is meant to taste or did I just not hit it quite right? I think I will enjoy it and I'm sure it will come together a little more as it ages but it just isn't quite the easy drinking beer I was hoping for. Albeit mine is definitely higher gravity than the recipe calls for

I've got a question about this one. I did 5 gallons on October 1st. Went a little heavy on the boil and I think my efficiency was higher than anticipated and ended up with ~4.5 gallons at an OG of 1.068. Fermented with 05 but it only got down to 1.020. Cold crashed it with gelatin and transferred to a keg last Sunday. Tried a couple samples since then and it is very sweet. Almost to the point of cloying. I think it's sweeter than any commercial example I've had this year at least. Just wondering if this is how this recipe is meant to taste or did I just not hit it quite right? I think I will enjoy it and I'm sure it will come together a little more as it ages but it just isn't quite the easy drinking beer I was hoping for. Albeit mine is definitely higher gravity than the recipe calls for

Mine is about the same. 1.020 and OG of 1.060-65 ish. Give it some time to mature and it will develop.

Mine was at 1.059 but I got down to 1.016. I felt just as you do very sweet. I bottled mine on 9/24/16 now a little over 4 weeks later it has matured and turned into a very balanced and quite enjoyable brew.
Just give it the time it deserves. You won't be disappointed.

Tapped the keg last night. Beautiful copper color, carbonation is perfect with lasting head. Strong biscuit, bready, grainy flavors. Very malty and at 1.020, it's thicker than I'm used to. Hops balance the beer just enough so that they are unnoticed.

Glad I made 10 gal!

Anybody think they get a good amount of caramel/toffee flavor or more towards breast/grainy?

Anybody think they get a good amount of caramel/toffee flavor or more towards breast/grainy?

I definitely didn't get a lot of bready/grainy flavor but I changed up the malt bill a little bit. Everyone who has tried it has told me they love how much caramel flavor it has.

Back