Mashing in a keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not going to go to this set up for a while, but I am curious how you ladies and gents hold temps in keggles for mashes?

I love my 15.5 gallon mash tun.
Welded valve, false bottom, and a very thick reflectix jacket to keep it all well insulated.
Once the temp is right, I jam a lid over the opening, and put a towel over that, then throw a blanket around it just to be safe. It holds temps so well it's scary.

I do BIAB (no sparge) in my keggle; the thermal mass of all that water and grain together is sufficient to hold mash temp to less than a 2 degree drop over 90 minutes. ;)

I was thinking early just how easy it must be to mash in one, as long as you can hold the temp. I already have a valve, false bottom and a diptube.

I do direct fire with a false bottom. It's not perfect, but if you get it right you can keep it within a couple of degrees.

Reflectix. Home Depot. It's not permanently attached... I have a piece of spandex that I wrap a couple of times like a big rubber band.

IMG_04661.JPG

I have both a 10 gal cooler and a Keggle Tun. I primarliy use the cooler unless im brewing a bigger beer. I do 10 gal batches so Im even looking at investing in a square cooler later for those very large beers! So how many layers opf reflectix are you all using on you metal tuns?

A good insulation like with Bobby_m direct fireable mineral wood surounded by something metal will hold steady for 30-40, then I kick on the rims and vorlauf for another 30 or so while maintaining the temp.

I have both a 10 gal cooler and a Keggle Tun. I primarliy use the cooler unless im brewing a bigger beer. I do 10 gal batches so Im even looking at investing in a square cooler later for those very large beers! So how many layers opf reflectix are you all using on you metal tuns?

Thanks. It's good to hear from someone who uses both, and which one you chose. You probably just saved me $200+

I used to do the exact same thing, reserving my keg MLT for bigger beers. Now that I bought my Jaybird false bottom for the keg, I've retired the cooler and bazooka screen to the attic.

I only do 1 wrap of reflectix. I bought a crapload of it, so I could have used more. I don't think I lose too much temp during the hour mash. I'm planning on putting a RIMS element on my system at some point which will make the insulation unimportant.

I used my keg MLT for the first time this weekend - previously have been doing 5-gallon batches using a cooler. I had no idea what to expect for thermal losses, so I bought Reflectix and put 1 wrap around just after mash-in (probably should have done it ahead of time, but it was a chaotic day). Mash in temp was 154° and it held for almost an hour! I thought I'd have to fire and recirculate throughout the mash, but didn't have to. I actually thought maybe my thermometer was reading incorrectly until i opened the top to stir at the end of the mash when it then dropped to 152°. Granted it was about 85 outside at the time, but all in all I was impressed with the Reflectix.

Back