The Flying Saucer (what's up with the Big Hoppy Monster?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
I rarely get to go to a place that serves good beer. I had the chance to go to Nashville to a hockey game, and we ate at the flying saucer. I went all hops tonight, started with a Sweetwater420, then Celebration ale, then Terrapins "Big Hoppy Monster" which is new to me. To be fair this is an 07' batch, but wow it tasted like they melted 15 Kraft Carmel's into a glass of water. It was a big carmelly monster. It was head snappingly sweet. Has anyone here had one of these? After the initial shock, some hop taste was there, but was definitely overpowered by the Crystal malt. I checked their site and this beer has Crystal 20, 30, 45, and 77(?) in it. Wow, no wonder. Why call this a hoppy monster? I then ended the night with a Stone Ipa (my first) and my faith in hops was fully restored.

I used to go to Flying Saucer, then I had an extremely unpleasant run-in with the Wynne kid that owns it (son of the Six Flags Over Tx Wynne family).

I emailed the site to suggest it was counterproductive to require Flash to access any of the site (there was no nonFlash content on the homepage). I had to do some google site: searching to find anything inside the site at all. It was locked down unless you had Flash.

Anyhoo, Shannon and at least one minion emailed around FS corporate CCing me (intentionally or not) saying how his customer (me) was whiny, pathetic, needs to get a life, and insinuated that Flash is everywhere and is even required for seeing yahoo.com (not true). Let's just say all of that is true; is that how you respond to a paying customer that emails you off the website Contact Us page (which I had to find on my own?). If I wanted to pay money to be treated like %!&@ I would have stayed married to my first wife.

Caused a nice little stir on the dfw.eats newsgroup, and many of use no longer spend our money at FS.

I wasn't dogging the Flying Saucer, I think it's an awesome place to get quality beer and food. I was wondering why the hoppy monster wasn't hoppy.

I had Big Hoppy Monster at a special event at the Terrapin brewery. You paid $10 to get a glass and could drink all of their beer all night. I really enjoyed the Big Hoppy Monster. It was kind of sweet, but the bitterness seemed like it balanced out fine. I was pretty toasted after drinking 2 of these, 2 Imperial Pilsners, 3 Rye Squared and a bunch of Sunray Wheat.

I had Big Hoppy Monster at a special event at the Terrapin brewery. You paid $10 to get a glass and could drink all of their beer all night. I really enjoyed the Big Hoppy Monster. It was kind of sweet, but the bitterness seemed like it balanced out fine. I was pretty toasted after drinking 2 of these, 2 Imperial Pilsners, 3 Rye Squared and a bunch of Sunray Wheat.

It was a good beer, but to sweet to be called big hoppy monster.

Back