carbonation tablets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsun213

Reaction score
im going to be bottling my beer using 40 oz. bottles. the directions on the carb tabs say use 4 per 12oz bottle. so should i just tripple the amount and maybe put 12 to 15 tabs in each 40 oz bottle? thanks.

4 per bottle? Wich drops are you using.

I have used the coopers priming drops and they were 1 per bottle.
The directions called for double the ammount (2 drops) for bigger bottles, so doubling your ammount should probably do the trick.

The cooper's PET bottles are 25.16oz,& take 2 carb drops. So the forty's would be like 3.5 drops. But those tablets at least 5 to carb a 12oz bottle half decent. So it's easy to see how many would be needed for a forty. I'd rather bulk prime. That way,size doesn't matter.

So the drops issue confuses me.
A package of Cooper's drops come with a kit.
Instructions say one package is good for a batch.
Package says it is sugar and glucose and weighs 454g or~ 1lb.

Now I look on some of the brewing suppliers web sites and look at the kit contents, and it usually shows 4 oz. of priming sugar supplied for bulk priming.

Why such a big variance in quantity (4X) and how does this affect carbonation and taste?

I got a good deal on a bunch of drops.
Could I simply dissolve 4 oz. of them and bulk prime ?

I got a super deal on a bunch of these Coopers tabs as well so I have been using these. Once they run out I will use the standard bulk prime.

I have only used 750ml and 1L bottles.

For the 750m Ml bottles I drop in 2 tabs.
For the 1L bottles I drop in 3.

So far, 3 batches sampled and they all have delivered a consistent carb. Love em or hate em, they work fine here. Dont try cutting em. It sucks.

The kits we've had or seen come with 5oz of priming sugar. I've never dissolved the carb drops myself,so I'm not sure there. I use the priming calculator at tastybrew.com.

The guy at my local brew shop said the tabs (Coopers were what they had on hand) were great for bottling from a force-carbed keg, otherwise regular priming sugar was the best way to go.

Here is my first pour of my bitter recipe. Primaried for 4 weeks, this is day 7 in the bottle. 3 coopers tabs in a 1L PET.

Last edited by a moderator:
The cooper's carb drops are ok if you get the right amount per size of bottle. But bulk priming turned out to be better to style. Not to mention,with bulk priming bottle size no longer matters.

The guy at my local brew shop said the tabs (Coopers were what they had on hand) were great for bottling from a force-carbed keg, otherwise regular priming sugar was the best way to go.

If you're force carbonating in the keg you shouldn't need ANY sugar in the bottles you then put brew into. Just make sure the keg is carbonated before you bottle off of it.

I would stay away from those things as they can make your beer taste nasty!!

This is the third time I have heard this claim, with no information behind it.
I have 3 batches and they all taste ok. I have enough coopers tabs for one more batch then I will be bulk priming in the bottling bucket. So far though, they haven't ruined my beer.

I just opened a brew that I recently bottled with the brewers best tabs. I used five in some bottles and four in some others. I will NOT be using them again. They way overcarbed the beer. Granted that was my fault for using too many tabs but its what was recommended. Its also a PITA to put 2-5 tabs in each bottle. With bulk priming its much easier, once you boil it and prep it, mix in your bottling bucket however you please based on preference, and bottle. After one run with them, in my opinion, I see no advantage to using carb tabs. Use a priming calculator online and carb to style.

Back