The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm honestly shocked I heard the rumor yesterday and laughed at it like yea right n

I think this is a good move for all parites. People keep talking about him wanting to play in the Champions League last season. Well guess what he did not go to a team Schalke where he could have had that, he went to Spurs where there was not CL. And Spurs is offering no CL this season either. Also he is looking at a drop in playing time. All that means a time to move. So as a 30 year old what would moving to a team like Everton really mean? More Europa League soccer? I don't think that stokes Clints fires.

So why not come back to MLS and help the league that helped him so much. He is still near his peak. He has at least four or five really good MLS season in him. He can be a great ambassador for the sport here in the US playing in the US on a weekly bases. And it shows how much growth MLS has had. I love this move as an American soccer fan.

I think this will be great for MLS - certainly makes me want to watch more! So many comment about how he should stay in the "top leagues" - but who better to transform MLS into a "Top League" than one of our own still in his prime? How do folks think the "Top Leagues" got that way??

Go Clint!

I think this will be great for MLS - certainly makes me want to watch more! So many comment about how he should stay in the "top leagues" - but who better to transform MLS into a "Top League" than one of our own still in his prime? How do folks think the "Top Leagues" got that way??

Go Clint!

+100 to this!

This move is about way more than Clint Dempsey. It is about the growth of MLS. And may e Clint wants to give back to the league that helped give him so much. I mean would you all rather player for a midtable team going no where fast or come back home and help grow the sport since the money is even or if not better at home? I'm proud of Clint for comig back and him bing in MLS for four years will do more for American soccer than four years at Everton or West Ham or Sunderland at his age.

At 10:15 East 7:15 Pacific the Sounders are having special pregame presentation! I wonder what that could be? Will be live streamed on their website.

Introducing new socks the team is going to be wearing. Nothing big.

Yeah I do the guy has played there for 8 years. Suarez gives everything on the pitch and is a pretty unselfish player.

No one questioned Suarez's dedication. Its the biting people. What I do not understand, and would be interested to hear your thoughts on, is how can you consider someone who bites multiple people to have any class at all?

He want to play championship soccer, not make a backwards move. He'd be better off going to Everton or West Ham. Stoke seems to have a thing for Americans.

Not sure how he would be better off with any of those options, as none of those get him any closer to CL soccer than going to Seattle. That is, no chance.

Lets be real for a second. Clint's move has nothing to do with helping the MLS. The dude is getting PAID. Huge money. Way more than he could ever make in Europe. Tottenham also wanted rid of him.

Good for the sounders
Good for Clint...because of the paycheck
Marginal gains for MLS.
Bad for USMNT

No way this is bad for the National Team. He will be rested for the World Cup and not coming off 18 months of straight soccer.

This is also great for MLS. Having a near peak level player come to the league is great. Add in the fact he has been the best American player over the last four years and its even better.

And most of the people bitching about this move are the same people who look their nose down at MLS and say it has not skill or talent. Well if you don't bring on players like Clint the league will never get better. And having Clint in MLS will only help MLS and that only helps US Soccef as a whole.

I about died laughing at this.... they hit soooooo many stereotypes on the head!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6KeG_i8CWE8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

Not sure how he would be better off with any of those options, as none of those get him any closer to CL soccer than going to Seattle. That is, no chance.

He's better off cause he can take a year then slide to a UCL team from another league. Lyon, Schalke, etc. Once you're in MLS you're pretty much there to stay. Dempsey's pretty much signed through the last few years of greatness he has. He's stuck in MLS, he can't leave now unless he goes to a silly foreign team.

if he isn't as sharp come WC 2014 we'll look back at this move in a different light.

He's better off cause he can take a year then slide to a UCL team from another league. Lyon, Schalke, etc. Once you're in MLS you're pretty much there to stay. Dempsey's pretty much signed through the last few years of greatness he has. He's stuck in MLS, he can't leave now unless he goes to a silly foreign team.

if he isn't as sharp come WC 2014 we'll look back at this move in a different light.

Clint was never going to move to the Continent. It why he went to Spurs last season and did not to a Champions League team. Plus next year he will be 31 and by and large CL teams don't by pass their prime 31 year olds unless they were already playing at a better CL team. Clint's only other option was to drop down to a mid level EPL side and he has been their and done that. I don't think that playing in Seattle will cause him to forget how to play.

I don't think his move to the MLS is as terrible as people are making it out to be. Sure I'd like to see him compete in a league as good as the EPL, but is he really going to suffer that much without that atmosphere? He's already a class player and I don't see it diminishing simply because he has gone to a less competitive league. If he were a younger player trying to learn the game I'd be worried, but he is already well established veteran and I think play in the MLS will keep him sharp enough. I'd much prefer that to sporadic stints at Spurs.

Juan Agudelo is going to Stoke City in January. Wish he would have gone to Holland or Belgium where he would get some better dvelpoment and better shot at playing time. He is still far from his final polished potential.

Glad to have Clint up here in the PNW. I can't see those who badmouth this move as Playing is always better than watching. Sitting for Tham wasn't going to make him a better player, wasn't going to grow him as a player. In Seattle he will be the show, he'll play, play and play some more. That's why he's here. The check doesn't hurt either. When you consider the 9 million transfer fee, plus 32 million in salary, you're seeing MLS step up a notch. Other signings in the future? yea,

It's all about growth. MLS is still trending upward. Other leagues are having financial problems, so for some players, a stable league with a competitive paycheck isn't a bad deal.

I completely agree.

I'm surprised in how early he came in. He looked good, although not mid-season or WCQ form.

Did anybody watch FCD v LA today? Holy crap, what a match. And Landy Cakes is looking like himself again.

Liverpool has become the joke of the Premier League.

Luis Suárez must say sorry says Liverpool's Brendan Rodgers

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/10/luis-suarez-brendan-rodgers-liverpool

Very poorly handled on all fronts I will agree.

But rule #1 of being a supporter. Pick your club and stick with it. :)

So I will continue to back my club and hope for a top ten finish, while waiting for someone to grow either a brain or a pair and make the right decisions.

Very poorly handled on all fronts I will agree.

But rule #1 of being a supporter. Pick your club and stick with it. :)

So I will continue to back my club and hope for a top ten finish, while waiting for someone to grow either a brain or a pair and make the right decisions.

Better pray your owner sells.

hoppyhoppyhippo said:
Jozy, nuff said.

Dude is going crazy. I checked the score and we were down 0-2. Checked back later and he had scored a hat trick.

The rickie lambert goal was a great story today as well. Rarely do I enjoy an England friendly, but this one was great.

Dude is going crazy. I checked the score and we were down 0-2. Checked back later and he had scored a hat trick.

The rickie lambert goal was a great story today as well. Rarely do I enjoy an England friendly, but this one was great.

Knocking on wood here but if the US wins it;s next 2 matches they could climb way up in the rankings. 2 wins would put them over 1000 points

Knocking on wood here but if the US wins it;s next 2 matches they could climb way up in the rankings. 2 wins would put them over 1000 points

I went through the FIFA Rankings Predictor for all the teams in the top 30. Assuming no upsets, if the US wins both Qualifiers we should end up moving up to number 9 in the world.

I went through the FIFA Rankings Predictor for all the teams in the top 30. Assuming no upsets, if the US wins both Qualifiers we should end up moving up to number 9 in the world.

[ame="http://youtu.be/TH6Acpzurb0"]Say WHAAAAAT?![/ame]

Five of us now.......of course, it's highly unlikely that I will remember to play it beyond setting up the team today. :cross:

Trying to juggle this and my NFL fantasy team last season sucked. Totally neglected the PL team till about December. Not making the same mistake this season.....

dwarven_stout said:
117107-396288 if anyone wants to rejoin the Homebrewtalk FPL league we had running last year.

Sorry I just saw this, I will add this to the rest of my leagues.

Latest posts

Back