Winter Solstice Red Ale (Extract - BYO)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raenester

Reaction score
I found this recipe while looking for a spiced holiday beer that I might actually get to finish and mellow out a bit in the 7 weeks left before xmas. I stumbled on this recipe from and old BYO post on spiced beers.

It seems promising as it's got a moderate OG and only needs to age a few weeks, however I need a little help with the recipe. For some reason it doesn't specify the amount of hops. I remember I made a simple American Amber before and I think it called for 2 oz of Willamette - if i remember correctly. This brew is described as being hoppy so I figured it may be a bit more. So should I assume it's maybe 1 oz of each?

Any help or insight would be much appreciated. Or if you have a good red ale recipe you think would be suited to the vanilla and cardamom extract addition please let me know.

Winter Solstice Red Ale

The blend of vanilla and cardamom with the fairly high hoppiness gives this brew a crisp, full-bodied spiciness like a good Christmas cookie.

Ingredients:

1/4 lb. 50° Lovibond crystal malt
1/8 lb. roasted barley
1/8 lb. malted wheat
4 lbs. amber unhopped malt extract
2 lbs. amber unhopped dry malt extract (DME)
Northern Brewer hop pellets (8 alpha acid units)
Willamette hop pellets (4 alpha acid units)
10-14 grams fruity ale yeast (or a liquid culture such as Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale yeast)
1 vanilla bean
12 whole cardamom seeds
4 oz. cheap vodka or pure grain alcohol

Step-by-Step:

Two weeks before brewing, chop vanilla bean into several pieces and coarsely grind the cardamom seeds, then put them in a jar with the vodka. Soak in a dark place until ready to use.

Steep the grains in two gallons of water as it begins to heat up. Remove them at 170-176 degrees F. Add extracts (put aside 1 cup of the dry malt extract for priming), boil a total of 45 minutes. Add the Northern Brewers at onset of boil, the Willamette 15 minutes later. Proceed with your normal fermentation. At bottling time, prime with the cup of DME you set aside and add in the potion you made a few weeks earlier (straining out the chunks, of course). Age three to four weeks.

Source: http://byo.com/component/resource/a...nts/1435-spicy-ideas-to-add-zest-to-your-brew

I see now that is Alpha Acid UNITS not percentage. Appears my guess of an ounce of each was correct assuming they are 8% and 4% respectively.

We'll see how this goes.

Back