Wii: Rock Band or Guitar Hero

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmorris1

Reaction score
Hi there, I tried searching, and have tried to piece together info all over the web, but everything I read seems to be 12 yo kid fanboys....

Here's my deal... I'm 33, 3 kids, 5 and 4 yo boys, 5 month old baby girl (sweetest thing ever btw). So I really am just looking for overall opinions from average adults. Not hardcore gamers, tied to one or the other.

I've never really been interested in these rhythm games, until my 5 yo showed some interest in them lately (Alvin and the Chipmunks, just shaking the WII remote). But now, I've come into some "play" money, and think it might be fun to get one or the other, but I really have no opinion either way...

Anyone with a Wii, please chime in with your opinions...

Obligatory beer post... just roughed up my Pasta Roller again for better crush, and have a Kolsch ready to bottle, and a Golden Strong a week in the fermentor!!!

Personally i like Guitar Hero better. I just find the instruments to be more responsive.

I guess I should have clarified, are you playing the full "band" equipment, or just the guitars? I'm looking to pick up the the band version, so we can play with both boys and girl eventually (although who knows what will be out in a year or two).

I'd also like to entertain some with the neighbors and fellow beer drinkers....

I was talking about the guitar hero guitars that work better. As far as the other things I have not noticed a difference. I kind of do prefer the guitar hero game too.

ok, cool... they are both reduced these days, down to 99 bucks at Walmart (at least for Rock Band 2, although they both are 99 at Amazon).

Good to know your opinions, like I said I'm not that big into games, especially not like these... more of a skateboarding, shooting kinda guy... when I get to play of course....

Hold out for The Beatles: Rockband. It's going to rock faces. Make sure to check out the videos, the opening cinema is really cool.

The career mode will follow The Beatles career, which made me think the first half would be way too easy considering the simple melodies of their early stuff. But then I found out there is compatibility for three microphones to recreate their legendary vocals and three-part harmonies, and that should really add a extra layer of depth to the gameplay as well as make me super giddy!!

Not only that but you can get special replica instruments so you can rock out just like the Fab Four did!

It's coming out September 9th... can't wait!

Both are awesome. We have every rock band and guitar hero for xbox :D I also can't wait for the beatles game. My wife hates the beatles, but I love them.

ok, that does sound awesome to my music lover (classic rock/dj)/videogamer, but between homebrewing and owning a fishing boat and three kids, something thats out and on sale now for just under a hundred really intrigue's me.....

She's more of a top 40 and pop music fan. I know, it sucks. She gets mad when I listen to classic vinyl on Sirius XM because they play a beatles song about once every hour.

It's ok, I did force her to go to the beatles cirque du soleil beatles show when we were in vegas last year and it was nothing short of amazing :D

If all of the kids and adults who are so obsessed with these games actually learned to play real instruments, we would have a new abundance of talented musicians and can finally stop listening to the crap they consider music today. Sorry I just had to rant.

Hambone,
I whole-heartedly agree... we literally play less than 30 minutes a week of any videogames in our house... We go fishing crabbing, play outside much like the "good ole days". They are also learning to play various instruments at this point (me teaching the basics of guitar playing).

That being said, it looks like harmless fun at this point for my family, and much better than some of the other games out there for kids...

I vote rockband, just because of the stupid in-game avatars in the Guitar Hero series. Both are fun games to play.

Hambone, that's quite a leap. About the only instrument in these games that could remotely be considered a stepping stone to real instruments is the drum kit...

Exactly what my local music scene needs... more lousy 1,2,3,4 repeat drummers. :D

I've played guitar and bass for donkey's years, both in and out side of bands. Rockband/guitar hero have very little to do with sitting down and woodshedding your git.

I vote rockband, just because of the stupid in-game avatars in the Guitar Hero series. Both are fun games to play.

Hambone, that's quite a leap. About the only instrument in these games that could remotely be considered a stepping stone to real instruments is the drum kit...

Exactly what my local music scene needs... more lousy 1,2,3,4 repeat drummers. :D

I've played guitar and bass for donkey's years, both in and out side of bands. Rockband/guitar hero have very little to do with sitting down and woodshedding your git.

Agreed. I play guitar and GH/RB guitar is nothing like playing a real guitar.

Drums otoh - move some cymbals around, add a high hat, space things a bit farther apart and you're at least on your way.

I know that it's a far leap off and I am glad that in this case it will be bringing a family together. Again, I'm not talking about this family and I'm glad that he spends time outside with his kids. I just had to rant because everyone my age is overly obessed with this game. I didn't even mean to single it out because if kids today spent the same amount of time doing anything as they do playing video games, they would be great at whatever they're doing instead of wasting hours and daylight in front of a tv screen.

I already play real guitar, so these games are just a natural progression. Plus I like being able to pick up almost any instrument and crush people immediately on expert skill level :D

IMO:

GH4 Pros:
Guitar controller is great
I like the gems better
Better song list off the disk.
GH4 Cons:
Drum is mediocre compared to RB2
Download content sucks

RB2 Pros:
Drum set is awsome
Great d/l content tons of extra songs.
RB2 Cons:
Guitar is mediocre

If all of the kids and adults who are so obsessed with these games actually learned to play real instruments, we would have a new abundance of talented musicians and can finally stop listening to the crap they consider music today. Sorry I just had to rant.

*sigh* Right, so if all the kids and adults who are so obsessed with Grand Theft Auto actually went out and got a glock we would have a lot more talented thugs out there..... derp

I'm frakkin' SICK of hearing that. I can play four instruments and, for the most part, my friends who are really into GH or RB can play an instrument as well. A lot of times these friends can even play the guitar or bass.... really well.

Terrifying as it is, if there are a bunch of new artists out there I'd have a bunch of new god-awful music to skip past as I'm scanning the radio.... you know, right before I try to discover fire. :rolleyes: I really have no idea what "new music" is nowadays (god, I'm 23 and I sound like my dad) considering customizable, commercial-free music is available 24/7 on my iPod or Pandora.

The guitars are really nothing like playing a real guitar. In fact, I found that tryign to play GH was a bit challenging as I had to relearn how to play some stuff. My fingers kept trying to play the wrong notes!

The drums make a nice intro to rhythm and basically how to play drums. Some of the advanced drumming in the game is not real easy (then again, I am new to drums and really bought the game to help my daughter learn to play so she can play her real drums in my future band!!)

I have not played RB, but GH is a ton of fun. I usually play until my fingers are cramped, or my ass, depending on which instrument I am playing.

Beatles? meh. I'm watching out for Van Halen! WOO HOO!!

rockband 1 the instruments don't seem responsive enough, esp. the drums.

rb 2 however is solid.

Pre-orders for GH 5? will net you a coupon for the VanHalen disk for FREE.

Woot to free stuff.

As to OP topic, I have a 5 y.o. who might be interested in playing as a family, but I suspect it will be a couple more years before he'll be able to play. I like GH and only play occasionally (on med difficulty). I'd suggest getting either one with only the guitar. If the kids look interested, pick up a drum set.

OK... The Rock Band is far superior in every aspect, my music library is approaching 500 DLC. Now I play on the PS3 so im not 100% on how it works for the Wii. But Rockband has better music available.

OK... The Rock Band is far superior in every aspect, my music library is approaching 500 DLC. Now I play on the PS3 so im not 100% on how it works for the Wii. But Rockband has better music available.

The one disadvantage that the OP will have with the Wii is that the music selection is no where near as large as the one for the 360 (I can't speak for the PS3, but I'm assuming its the same release date based on Kev's post here).

ok, thanks for the input... looks like it might be the Rockband 2, although the plans might have changed a bit, since I just used some of my "play" money, for a downpayment on a *gasp* minivan. We'll see tho, since I just dj'd another party last night.

anyway, RB2 seems to have better drums, and more song choices, while GH has better guitars... I'm leaning towards RB2....

anyway, RB2 seems to have better drums, and more song choices, while GH has better guitars... I'm leaning towards RB2....

I use the Guitar Hero LP-shaped guitar for RB2. Best of both worlds.

Here's a link to a Plastic Guitar Game compatibility matrix to see what controllers will work with what game on your Wii.

Instrument Compatibility Matrix v4.50 - Joystiq

I bought Guitar Hero as a party game. Have had a lot of fun with it. My son, who is now two, has developed quite a since of rhythm from it. We bought him a real miniature drum kit for his second birthday and wants me to play so he can play along on his kit. I think they are both good for what you are looking to get out of it.

Same here
Hi there, I tried searching, and have tried to piece together info all over the web, but everything I read seems to be 12 yo kid fanboys....

Here's my deal... I'm 33, 3 kids, 5 and 4 yo boys, 5 month old baby girl (sweetest thing ever btw). So I really am just looking for overall opinions from average adults. Not hardcore gamers, tied to one or the other.

I've never really been interested in these rhythm games, until my 5 yo showed some interest in them lately (Alvin and the Chipmunks, just shaking the WII remote). But now, I've come into some "play" money, and think it might be fun to get one or the other, but I really have no opinion either way...

Anyone with a Wii, please chime in with your opinions...

Obligatory beer post... just roughed up my Pasta Roller again for better crush, and have a Kolsch ready to bottle, and a Golden Strong a week in the fermentor!!!

Same here I'm 49 one gson 24 one 28 one daughter 21 empty nest I bought a Wii and all the guitar hero and rock band stuff no support so I jailbroke my Wii and looking for supporters of the whole rock and conquest

Latest posts

Back