5 gallon glass carboy $14 good deal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau815

Reaction score
I saw an ad for $15 for a 10 gallons carboy and when i drove the 45 min to get it the guy says oh this is 5 gallons i guess, and STILL wanted 15 for it, i had 14 and change and he said ill take the 14. Is this still a decent deal or did i get taken? Its in good shape... he was gonna throw in another one that had a chip inside it and i said no thanks and he put it out to the curb. Didnt wanna risk bacteria harboring in it or it exploding with a batch in it, smart move?

A 5 gallon carboy at my LHBS is about $30+ here (Albany, NY), so you got a good deal

Yeah but thats brand new so im proly right on track with a used one then. cool thanks! The guy said he had 7 of them and they used to hold water. I was thinking wait wait wait thats not what i want, but its identical to my other 5 gallon glass carboy and just as thick and heavy, bleaching it in the tub right now.

That's about right. There's a guy here who sells used brewing equipment on CL and he usually asks about $15 for carboys. Although considering the 45 min drive... not a bad deal, but no steal either.

true true... oh and the drive I had to do anyways as my brother lives 10 min from there and had to go for a family party anyway.

A glass carboy can break relatively easy but they don't get wear and tear like a plastic fermentation chamber or anything else used for brewing. What I'm saying is as long as it's not broken or chipped it's the same as new..... once you clean it. Good buy.

BTY carboys were made for bottled water thats why we have them
so its no suprize it had drinking water in it, the 5 gal drinking water bottles arnt shaped just like carboys by total chance, before the plastic ones it was all deleverd in glass and lost of the water companys still had the glass ones for there hi-end clients
i know there place here did till last year, i could get a carboy full of spring water for 26 bucks with a carboy create 6 for the water and 20 for the deposet
ah the good oldays

I would say $15 sounds good. The only better deal I have seen is the 4 glass carboys that were given to me last week by a co-worker. They have been sitting in her basement and she was tired of looking at them. Her husband quit brewing several years ago and it was time to clean house. She thinks she may also have several dozen swingtop bottles. Cheers to friends that are former brewers. :tank:

Back