Mr Beer or a kit with 5 gal buckets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCSU

Reaction score
Hey everyone, this is my first post and have never brewed beer but have always wanted to. Would it be better to start with a Mr Beer brewing kit or one of the ones that include everyone you need to make a beer in a 5 gallon bucket similar to this
Beer Making Starter Kit with Ingredients

Is the quality the same or different between the two kits? how do they compare to cheap American beers like Budweiser and Coors? And remember that this would be my first batch.:confused:

First, don't think you'll be able to save money making your own beer compared to Bud, Miller, and Coors (BMC).

Second, you can make great beer using the equipment from Mr. Beer or the 5 gallon kit. The difference will be the ingredients you choose to use. If you use the Mr. Beer stuff you will find it wanting if you drink micros OR BMC.

It's a hobby, and hobbys cost money. The more time, thought, and care you put into this hobby the better beer you'll make. If you're obsessive, I'd spring for the full mama-jama 5 galloner. If you'd just like to dabble and see if it may be something you'd like to do, then get a Mr. Beer and use quality ingredients.

I bought two five gallon primaries because the waiting time between initially starting in the primary and actually drinking your beer is a minimum of five to six weeks... that's a hang of a long time to wait between batches.

I have never used the mr beer kit but many of my friends have and each one has said they regretted ever getting the mr beer and have all moved on to the 5 gallon kits.

I bought two five gallon primaries because the waiting time between initially starting in the primary and actually drinking your beer is a minimum of five to six weeks... that's a hang of a long time to wait between batches.

Exactly, keep brewing until you have your pipeline consistenly churning out brew.

To the TS, I would get a kit with a primary and secondary.

I never used a MR Beer kit either so my vote would be for the 5 gallon bucket kit with at least one extra fermenter.

there is reall not much difference in the $$$ plus you can brew more beer at a time.. with the 5 gal kit..

it a quality beer you will brew, but at the same time it is not like bud, miller,coor. ITS BETTER :tank:

I would say go with the 5 gallon kit, then later on if you really get into it and want to go All Grain, you can use your smaller pot as a Hot Liquor Tank.

I ordered the Mr. Beer.. and in my excitement before i even received it, I went out and got a 5 gallon kit. I used the Mr. beer once, just to brew the can that it came with.

the way I see it is I have many hobbies or as my SWMBO says too many

making beer has many pluses over other hobbies

like when I fly and crash my RC airplane ...costs more money

nothing in return except fun and excitement and sorrow

when I brew beer even if its only ok I still get something back

yummy brew (hopefully)

just my 2 cents

:mug:

I got the Coopers Beer Kit (~$100). makebeer.net is having a 15% off right now tho so shipping will be free, basically. You can read more on extract brewing in that forum but it will give you everything you need to make a batch of beer (except something to heat up the extract and something to sanitize with, pretty much). The fermenter, hydrometer, spoon, & bottles will be reusable of course. Kits run around $30 for a complete beer batch kit (makes 23 liters or over 6 gallons). You can just use primary or buy a secondary if you choose. For ME, the Coopers is the way to go. I will use the fermenters a good long time I expect. I like the rounded corners and comes with spigot on the fermenter. I would look at your $$, weigh the differences and expect to enjoy it (if you like beer) and plan to expand eventually. Build a good starting foundation by buying stuff you will continue using for a while and you will save yourself some money (no matter which way you choose!). :D

Back