Fast Saison ferm'/When would you keg it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seafra

Reaction score
I just had my quickest 3724 fermentation ever: 3 weeks from 1.060 to 1.003! I've always had the typical 4 - 6 weeks with this yeast. So, I'm wondering how long to let it stay in the fermenters (SS conicals) before kegging. If you've had fast 3724 fermentation, I'd appreciate hearing your experiences.

-----------------------------
In case your interested in the techniques with this batch (12 gal):
--1 pack 3724 into 6 liter starter (w/ yeast nutrient and pure O2 through .5 micron stone for 30 sec.) on stir plate.
--chilled starter and decanted.
--pitched @ 80F and ramped to 90F over 12 hours.
--1 pinhead drop of olive oil in each fermenter.
--did NOT oxygenate the wort, just shook fermenters 45 seconds.
--held temp between 90F and 95F.
--shook the fermenters OFTEN to keep yeast in suspension and take CO2 out of solution.
--when it hit the infamous 1.030 slump, I did the following:
~shook the hell out of the fermenters to remove as much CO2 as possible.
~added 1/8 tsp of dissolved DAP to each fermenter.
~purged the headspace in the fermenters with pure O2 and shook the hell out of them again (in 12 hrs the airlocks were passing 2 bubbles per second).
~continued to shake the fermenters often: in one week it was 1.003 and now has virtually no airlock activity unless shaken.

It's up to you, but I always cold crash and let as soon as I hit my target gravity. With Saison yeast, fermenting around 70 I have had this be as fast as 4-7 days.

It's up to you, but I always cold crash and let as soon as I hit my target gravity. With Saison yeast, fermenting around 70 I have had this be as fast as 4-7 days.

You've had 3724 (and nothing but 3724) finish in 4-7 days @ 70F!? You must have sold your soul to the yeast devil to get that kind of performance.

P.S. What was your target gravity?

Back