Bourbon Soaked Oak Chips-Add the the liquid too??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinBigD

Reaction score
I have a Brown ale bubbling away downstairsand im planning on racking it onto bourbon soaked oak chips for 10days in secondary.

I noticed that after a day's soak ,the bourbon is full of carbon powder from the oak chips, do i need to filter this out before i add the whole container liquid and all??

will the sediment make the beer cloudy??

Go for it. The powder should settle out. If you want to run it through a fine strainer (perhaps a coffee filter), that would be fine.

BrewinBigD said:
I have a Brown ale bubbling away downstairsand im planning on racking it onto bourbon soaked oak chips for 10days in secondary.

I noticed that after a day's soak ,the bourbon is full of carbon powder from the oak chips, do i need to filter this out before i add the whole container liquid and all??

will the sediment make the beer cloudy??

Man I have done a few bourbon soaked oak cube additions to beer and never need the bourbon. The oak will absorb enough to then release into the beer if you wanted more I would add straight new bourbon for the bottle to taste before bottling or keg

In keg vanilla coffee milk stout, robust porter, dark Saison, APA, German rye,

20gal of Imperial Black IPA in primary that will be aged in a Buffalo Trace Bourbon barrel. Also in primary blackberry cobbler

Secondary Apple wood smoked IPA, Belgium Wit

I wrapped some nylon pantyhose around a kitchen strainer to filter mine.

strainer.jpg

iwas thinkin of letting it seep through thr coffee filter, but im probably just gonna stain out the oak chips and toss the liquid, as i dont want excessive smoky flavorin the ale.

To clarify, I soaked the chips (+ vanilla beans) in bourbon. I then strained it and added the liquid to the beer and tossed the chips. The first time was a 2 month soak - way too much oak flavor. The second time was 2 weeks - much better.

Back