Pitching dIPA on Pumpkin Ale yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SethMasterFlex

Reaction score
I planned on brewing my Pumpkin Ale this weekend and planned to use WLP007 as my main yeast. The Pumpkin Ale will use a variety of spices (cinnamon, ginger, clove, allspice, nutmeg). I originally planned on using the yeast cake to ferment my insanely hoppy wet hop dIPA, but last night began to think that pitching on this cake might impart some spice flavor to the finished product. Anyone ever experience picked up flavors using a cake like this?

My OG for the dIPA is estimated to be 1.083. Am I better off just making a big stir plate starter for the dIPA and using a different yeast for the Pumpkin Ale all together (might use S-04)? I prefer my dIPA's on the drier side, so I'm just looking to have the healthiest, most efficient fermentation possible for it.

I wouldn't use the cake on this one. General rule of thumb for using cakes is that you want to go from a lower OG, lower hop beer to a higher OG, higher hop beer (not necessarily both), because you'll pick up hop flavors from the cake. I would have to assume that the same can be said for all of those spices. Lastly, US-04 is a great yeast for Pumpkin Ales, so I think that's the road I'd go.

Yeah I figured I might be answering my own question on this one as soon as I posted it. I honestly don't reuse cakes too often. It's just one of those have to say it outloud kind of things.

In that case, anyone ever use WLP007 for a dIPA? The reviews I've read say it's a great attenuator/flocculator without being too fruity and really let's the hop character shine.

In that case, anyone ever use WLP007 for a dIPA? The reviews I've read say it's a great attenuator/flocculator without being too fruity and really let's the hop character shine.

The brewer at one of our local brewpubs, Uncle Billy's, loves 007. He's got some good big hoppy beers so I'd say you're probably good to go with it.

If you really wanted to make it interesting I've had good luck with WLP530 on a DIPA and thought Wyeast 3711 French Saison really brought the fruity hop flavors out of a recent 9.2% beer using a tripel recipe and a lot of Citra & Nelson Sauvin. Both yeasts are beasts and you'll have no worries about stalling out. Just a thought. :)

Latest posts

Back