Sous Vide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would go for it. I love mine. I haven't found anything I cant cook sous vide. Just make sure you don't go over board with time. Cook things to long texture gets funky.

I'm gonna get one of those. Using my eHLT to sous vide is a PITA.

This thing is beyond easy to use. Best part is the water out of my tap in the kitchen is 120F, so I'm most of the way there and actually too hot for most fish.

If I didn't have a gift card to use on Amazon, I would have weighed the options more between Anova and Joule.

Although any product that Apple sees fit to sell in their own stores, is probably a decent quality product.

This thing is beyond easy to use. Best part is the water out of my tap in the kitchen is 120F, so I'm most of the way there and actually too hot for most fish.

If I didn't have a gift card to use on Amazon, I would have weighed the options more between Anova and Joule.

Although any product that Apple sees fit to sell in their own stores, is probably a decent quality product.

I'll be ordering a Joule In 10 or 11 days, I can make due with what I have at the moment;)

I'm going to get Gourmia on Amazon. It's been on my wishlist for a while. I don't need to monitor from Wifi or bluetooth :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wife is excited at the prospect of vac-packed meals she just has to toss in a water bath.

Anyone have any words of wisdom?

Not really, but doesn't it take like 4 days to cook something? I guess eventually you'd get really good at meal planning. ;)

Not really, but doesn't it take like 4 days to cook something? I guess eventually you'd get really good at meal planning. ;)

No, I did steaks in 1.5ish hours today.

Fish takes even less time.

(I already jumped in anyway). But a 29 hour roast is somewhere in this thread and looks amazing.

Not sure what you mean by 4 days. I foodsaver pulled pork when I smoke it - I usually have 10#. My kids can take a vac bag and toss in a pot of boiling water and it's done in about 10 minutes. Cut open, pour on a bun, bam. ATM I've got duck, salmon, pork, ribeyes, pasta, and loads of andouille sausage all frozen in vac bags.

[edit: wups, misunderstood, nevermind]

Not sure what you mean by 4 days. I foodsaver pulled pork when I smoke it - I usually have 10#. My kids can take a vac bag and toss in a pot of boiling water and it's done in about 10 minutes. Cut open, pour on a bun, bam. ATM I've got duck, salmon, pork, ribeyes, pasta, and loads of andouille sausage all frozen in vac bags.

[edit: wups, misunderstood, nevermind]

Not knowing what Sous Vide was, I looked it up on Wikipedia and this is what it said:

Sous-vide (/suːˈviːd/; French for "under vacuum")[1] is a method of cooking in which food is sealed in airtight plastic bags then placed in a water bath or in a temperature-controlled steam environment for longer than normal cooking times—96 hours or more, in some cases—at an accurately regulated temperature much lower than normally used for cooking, typically around 55 °C (131 °F) to 60 °C (140 °F) for meat and higher for vegetables. The intent is to cook the item evenly, ensuring that the inside is properly cooked without overcooking the outside, and retain moisture.

Not knowing what Sous Vide was, I looked it up on Wikipedia and this is what it said:

Sous-vide (/suːˈviːd/; French for "under vacuum")[1] is a method of cooking in which food is sealed in airtight plastic bags then placed in a water bath or in a temperature-controlled steam environment for longer than normal cooking times—96 hours or more, in some cases—at an accurately regulated temperature much lower than normally used for cooking, typically around 55 °C (131 °F) to 60 °C (140 °F) for meat and higher for vegetables. The intent is to cook the item evenly, ensuring that the inside is properly cooked without overcooking the outside, and retain moisture.

Yeah, didn't someone earlier in this thread say they were cooking a roast for a few days?

Anyway, I usually only go for an hour or two, maybe longer if guests are running late. The idea is that you set the water bath to the exact temperature you would want for doneness, ie rare, medium, etc. The food in the bath will gently and evenly warm up to this temp and stay there till you are ready for it.
Hence why a big chunk a meat like a roast would take days, while a fish filet would only need less than an hour.

@thatjonguy, those steaks look awesome! (Damn the new year resolutions)

https://www.chefsteps.com/classes/cooking-sous-vide-getting-started/landing#/

Yeah, didn't someone earlier in this thread say they were cooking a roast for a few days?

Anyway, I usually only go for an hour or two, maybe longer if guests are running late. The idea is that you set the water bath to the exact temperature you would want for doneness, ie rare, medium, etc. The food in the bath will gently and evenly warm up to this temp and stay there till you are ready for it.
Hence why a big chunk a meat like a roast would take days, while a fish filet would only need less than an hour.

@thatjonguy, those steaks look awesome! (Damn the new year resolutions)

That was probably me, did 29 hrs, doing it again I would probably do just a little shorter, there is a learning curve but it's a great technique, pretty hard to really screw up.

Has anyone found any proteins that are still really good even without additional searing? These immersion sous vide sticks look like really good portable options for when I'm stuck in a hotel room with limited options (like right now). That salmon looks killer.

I sous vide in my 10 gallon BIAB rig and temp control can with a heatstick. I made a lovely 2 pound boneless turkey breast a few days ago in about 3 hours. If you can accurately hold a given temp, you can sous vide. It is an eye opener for sure. I also like to do pork tenderloins and 3 lb bottom? round roast beef.

I sous vide in my 10 gallon BIAB rig and temp control can with a heatstick. I made a lovely 2 pound boneless turkey breast a few days ago in about 3 hours. If you can accurately hold a given temp, you can sous vide. It is an eye opener for sure. I also like to do pork tenderloins and 3 lb bottom? round roast beef.

I just did a 7+ pound pork tenderloin in mine. It was tender, and more moist than baked, but not that much better. I was unimpressed.

This is a great thread, their used to be a big sous vide thread on here that I would like to read, but can't find it. Thanks to anyone that can put a link on here for it.

Hello,

this is only my second post here, but I have enjoyed reading about the different things people are up to (not just brewing).

I made a sous-vide setup this weekend with a Raspberry Pi and a rice cooker. I used a waterproof DS18B20 temperature sensor, and a cheap mains relay. I found a simple Python program on the 'net which ran in an endless loop measuring the temperature and turning the relay on and off to keep it (mostly) constant.

The results were promising, but I have to cook more (and eat more) to determine the best time/temperature settings for various foods. Purely in the name of research*, you understand.

Cheers!

* I am also researching the taste of various beers in my other experiments.

do you shun the center of a prime rib?

Not my favorite, it's too plain for me. With a prime rib, the only browning and seasoning is on the edges, and even then its typically overcooked to death. A steak on the other hand is full of opportunities for seasoning and yummy browning.

I haven't cooked fish sous vide yet. Does salmon come out bland if it isn't browned?

I just did a 7+ pound pork tenderloin in mine. It was tender, and more moist than baked, but not that much better. I was unimpressed.

Did you add interesting aromatics, seasonings, or flavor? Tenderloin is pretty dull unless you augment the flavor with something as a marinade or a rub.

I found this roast beef recipe is pretty tasty: https://www.pratesiliving.com/30-hour-sous-vide-eye-of-round-roast/
long article, but makes a tasty roast beef. Try it with tots.

I use a sous vide supreme. Bought from CL at a 30% actual cost. Another counter top appliance but I like gadgets.

Used it with lamb, steak, chicken and venison. Trial and error will get you to the texture you like. We did too long with lamb and it was mushy. Did numerous untrimmed tenderloins with a quick seat on the grill for probably the best tenderloins I have had. Chicken and pork is outstanding too. Did a whole turkey at thanksgiving, carved into parts and then broiled to crisp things and it too was delicious.

It's not for everything but is a great way to play in the kitchen and the results are almost already great. Just be careful in already tender cuts...you can cook them to mush. For venison roasts, it works awesome since they are so lean you can truly get a fully cooked medium rare piece with a quick grill for a crust without drying the meat.

Some recipes claim you can do whole meals by staggering when you place meat, veggies and sides into the bath but I found that too hard and more work. Pick one part of the meal and use it for that alone, using other traditional techniques for the rest of the meal serves us well. Usually I use sous vide for the meat part of the meal.

That said it is good for par cooking sides so you can broil/pan fry things quickly to get a whole complex meal done mostly ahead of time so when you have company it's a matter of just heating things up and getting then browned in a pan, on the grill or under the broiler.

You still doing this? I haven't taken the plunge yet, but am seriously thinking about it. The vacuum sealer would be nice for bulk hops too.

Of course, it is much easier than a slow cooker for single ingredient things like the meat component of your meal.

Putting several thick cut pork chops in Thursday. Gets the interior done perfectly without overcooking the exterior.

We do salmon in ours at least once a week. Get the water up to 160, toss in the fish bagged with a pat of butter and dill. By the time you fix your salad and side it's gone from frozen to ready. It does have a softer texture than pan seared but the flavor is great.

We do salmon in ours at least once a week. Get the water up to 160, toss in the fish bagged with a pat of butter and dill. By the time you fix your salad and side it's gone from frozen to ready. It does have a softer texture than pan seared but the flavor is great.

So you do not have to thaw first?

Can't you just pan sear after cooking sous vide to improve texture?

My fav so far is the 4 days chuck roast aka poor man prime rib! I finish it in the oven at 500f for about 4 mins... fork tender!

JvAjsvY.jpg

Back