Ethanol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Dog

Orange whip?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Some of the filling stations locally are starting to sell Ethanol Fuel. Being that this is Florida and we are usually a little behind. I would imagine this already available in most of the rest of the country. I realize at best this is a stop gap to help break our addiction to fossil fuel. I had imagined this would lower the price per gallon a little. (I was only a kid in the 70's, it seemed like it that Ethanol was lower $ then). It did not lower the price at all, in fact I think it was a little higher.

Don't get me wrong... I don't mind paying a little more for fuel to quit buying so much Arab oil. I guess it was just my perception that was wrong.

Chris

There has been some debate over ethanol for the past fews days on this thread.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=50841&page=2 . I was listening to NPR or the BBC this morning (can't remember which) and an expert was saying that while ethanol may be reducing the US dependance on fossil fuel, it does not reduce total carbon emissions due to all the inputs needed during its production. Having done some reading up on the subject, I personally don't think ethanol does much good for us at the moment. Its argued both ways on the above link, hope it helps.

When it is gotten from corn its just as bad or worse then gas when all the inputs are added up. Some of the other sources are looking really neat though. Cellulose ethanol is one that could be really good. Its taken from grass or tree waste and needs hardly any inputs. Its just not as productive as corn now.

are you talking about 10% ethanol blend ("super" unleaded) or E85, which is 85% ethanol?

cuz your car MUST be rated to take E85.

also, ethanol makes my little 4-banger Cavalier run like poo, and my 500cc Ninja runs even worse. both vehicles Manf. manual states 87 octane is my ideal fuel, not 89 (which in Nebraska is our 10% ethanol/super unleaded gas). My Ninja doesn't like premium 91 octane either.

I think we are a year or two away from the Cellulose Ethenol breakthrough that will be big deal. We are really waiting for the confluence of DNA mapping research and the right sequence that will make a cell produce ethenol high enough to power your cars.

I can envision that someday you will cut your lawn and set the clippings out by the side of the road and some company picks it up takes to a central plant and you get a gas credit for how much you produce. Buy fertilizer stocks!

Ultimately I care about the environment, but I care about my security the most and I hope that our technology saves us from the dependance on foriegn oil sooner rather than later.

You can thank the E-85 craziness in part for the higher grain and hop prices. Farmers are switching their crops to corn because it makes them more money.

Back