Igloo cube mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlieatthedisco

Reaction score
Thinking of upgrading to a larger mash tun for 10gal batches, the igloo cube from Walmart 60qt looks like it will fit my brew stand, the spigot is in the back but I want to drill a hole on the from for a 1/2 in bh. Has anyone has experiences with this? I have heard concerns about the cooler walls being thin..
Thanks
Charlie

I think mine is a 42qt cube, i didn't notice that the walls were thin. I did however drill a hole in the lid and spray in as much insulation as i could.
The most heat I've lost is 2° on a 60 min mash this past winter in my unheated garage.

Yes i did. I made 2 cpvc manifolds. One for the bottom and one i attached to the inside of the lid.
I ran a short piece of pipe through the lid to the manifold. When I'm ready to sparge i connect it to my hlt with a short hose.

That is awesome, any photos maybe? Or links so I can build my own lid sparge manifold? I have seen a couple videos but not showing how to build, it would be appreciated!
Charlie

I cant figure out how to upload pics on here.
I just built 2 identical manifolds using 1/2" cpvc.
Drilled a hole in the lid for the inlet pipe.
I attached the manifold to the lid with plastic pipe hangers and ss screws.

Thanks, that will help. Did you use a hole saw or step bit for the bh hole? And what size if you remember? 13/16 perhaps?

Thanks, that will help. Did you use a hole saw or step bit for the bh hole? And what size if you remember? 13/16 perhaps?

I used a hole saw. Just take your time so you dont crack the inside. 13/16 sounds right. I built mine over a year ago.

Back