Cold Crashing Wort with a Sealed Bag of ice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamjackson

Reaction score
Would this work? My previous two batches, I used 3 bags of ice in my large sink and got the wort down to 70 in about 25 minutes. I'm not yet ready to buy the actual immersion chiller so I thought...what If I put a bag of ice sealed in the wort? would that melt the plastic or does it work? Anyone have experience?

The bag will be fine, just like a papercup won't burn while filled with water. I think a better solution is foodgrade water bottles, frozen and sanitized.

Nice to see another fellow Granite Stater.

I have used plastic bottles that I have sanitized and froze with no ill effects.

Nice to see another fellow Granite Stater.

I have used plastic bottles that I have sanitized and froze with no ill effects.

Cool. Sounds like Plastic frozen bottles is the way to go. I'll start putting them aside with water in them. for sure I felt like the outside of the wort was chilling so I had to keep stirring. haveing something frozen in there would have been helpful to drop the temp faster. thanks!

If you're in the Upper valley region, let me know. My annual "Hail to The Yeast" BBQ is on June 30th.

Back