North American Cider apple varieties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxNoise

Reaction score
Apple season is still several months away but I already can't wait to get the grind and press going for next summers cider.

In the mean time I'm trying to locate good apples for cider making. Most of the orchards around here offer mostly eating/cooking apples but I figure some might be better for cider than others. Also, I've heard of several "perfect" cider apple varieties but most don't fancy our North American climate.

So my question is, in your experience, what are some good apple varieties for cider making that actually grow in North America? (preferably around the east coast for me)

I hear Golden Russets are a good cider apple if you are going to make a single variety cider. A blend is always best.
The do grow here in western NY.
But we had some weird warm weather early this spring followed by a few days of hard freezing temps. They are guessing some 90% of our apple and fruit crops have been destroyed.

Cortlands.
they grow them all over the northeast.

Now that I'm on the west coast, they are hard to come by. :(

I started looking around in a couple different books and several websites to see which apples are well suited for cider or even plain juice.

A couple online references that helped me out were: Orange Pippin and Trees of Antiquity

Just start researching common apple varieties you normally see in your area and see if Cider/Juicing is listed under uses.

I have had good luck with these: Jonagold, Granny Smith, McIntosh and Red Delicious

Last year, a buddy of mine bought an old 1872 Hutchinson's cider mill and press. So, we did 3 bushels of apples. 2 Empire, and 1 Rome. The blend was awesome!

a264.jpg

Last year I was a bit late in the season when I went apple picking. So I pretty much got the left overs. The juice was mostly Cortland, some Spartan and a bit of Empire. The cider ended good but not great. It was lacking aroma I would say. I feel that Cortland is good base juice but I think I'll add more Empire or maybe some Red Delicious. And I remember seeing some Rome apples around, maybe I'll give those a try. I've heard good things about Golden Russet but I don't remember if any orchards around here grow them. But I'll keep a look out for them.

Thanks for the feed back!

Definitely Golden Russet, Newtown(Albemarle) Pippin, Northern Spy, Baldwin, Tompkins King, Keepsake, Hews Crab.

Gonna be the odd man out and say I personally dislike most cider made from a McIntosh base, just too thin for me, and that extends to most McIntosh hybrids like Courtland, Rome, Empire & Liberty. That being said, I do believe that 10%-15% McIntosh can help emphasize the fruity characteristics of a more full bodied base apple.

Want to test out some Ginger Gold cider this fall if I can get my hands on enough. Had this apple for the first time ever the other day and tasted potential.

Pretty much any fresh juice will make a better cider than store bought apple juice.

Back