time in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonpce

Reaction score
I have my starter kit and extract kit coming this week. If I start everyting in the primary how long can I safely leave it there.(extract irish stout from midwest) My son will be home from college the end of May and wants to help with the bottling. sorry about such basic questions but this is my first time brewing.

That sounds like good timing to me. I do most of my brews in primary only and leave it alone for 3 and sometimes 4 weeks, then I bottle.

This is a common time frame that many feel gives the yeast the time to clean up the off flavors created during the fermentation process and allow the sediment to settle out.

Others say there is no benefit to wait longer that reaching final gravity.

I am in the let it clean up camp.

I am on my first run with the Coopers kit and it says you are good to bottle in 4-6 days depending on temperature. Why do they go so low on their kits?

That sounds like good timing to me. I do most of my brews in primary only and leave it alone for 3 and sometimes 4 weeks, then I bottle.

This is a common time frame that many feel gives the yeast the time to clean up the off flavors created during the fermentation process and allow the sediment to settle out.

Others say there is no benefit to wait longer that reaching final gravity.

I am in the let it clean up camp.

+1...also checking with a hydrometer to make sure it done is good idea too.

Latest posts

Back