Strange occurrence

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superkabuto

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I brewed a belgian extract with WL530. Fermentation went as normal for the first week. Then the airlock went completely dead. No big deal - I've had fermentation complete in shorter periods. The strange occurrence came when I transferred to the secondary. When I took the lid off of the bucket, the beer was still churning quite a bit. When I put the airlock on the secondary it was bubbling away!

I do not currently have a hydrometer. I broke it when I made this batch.

I can't imagine why the first airlock went dead. Unless the CO2 was escaping from a hole I wasn't aware of, which I don't think is likely. Any ideas?

Belgian yeasts can be finicky. What temperature were you fermenting? Perhaps the yeast just slowed considerably and the transfer warmed them up and roused them.

hmmm...

when in doubt, push it out (of your mind that is). Just let it sit a while. If this is higher gravity, it'll need the rest anyway. Set it aside until you can pick up a hydrometer. I just finally racked my saison after about a month and a half in the primary, just waiting on it to drop below 1.010. Drinking it now and it was definitely worth the wait.

Racking introduces small amounts of oxygen into the beer. This oxygen can wake the yeast up and make them resume fermentation if it's slowed or stopped, it's like re-aerating the beer. Rousing it during transfer can have an additive effect.

Back