Sex & Homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orpheus

Reaction score
..is not the topic of this thread :p

I do have a fermentation question. I'm not worried, but I am curious:

I brewed an English bitter using just a tad over 6 lbs. LME. It came out with a curiously high OG: 1.060.

I let it go a week in primary with no problems. It was clearing nicely in primary, so I racked it to a "secondary" clearing carboy. It was nice and clear and activity was ceasing.

Then I noticed the beer began to cloud a few days after being pretty dead in the secondary. Then there wasn't krausen, but a thin and spotty layer of bubble on the top of the beer again. When I peer into the carboy, I can see what look like tiny clumps of yeast shooting to the top of the beer and back down to the bottom.

I took a reading a couple of days ago and it was at 1.016. It tasted damn good, too!

I've just never had this happen and wonder why? I used good ol' Munton's ale yeast. Is the slowing and reactivating of fermentation a product of the high OG (I've never really made anything much over 1.050) or of the yeast or what?

You probably just stirred the yeast up and there was still some work to be done. I have seen a couple of my brews with the small bubbles on the top in secondary. I must admit though that with extract the gavities are locked in and an OG of 1.060 is a good deal higher than what would be expected from a 5 gallon batch. Promash shows an OG of 1.044.

Back