Wyeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tristan1220

Reaction score
Has anyone used Wyeast cider yeast?

First time using it. Just started a batch with it yesterday. I Usually use champagne yeast but the cider would always come out too dry for my liking.

I don't think the cider yeast is going to change that. Please update on how it worked, but I am fairly convinced that most yeasts are going to ferment a standard cider to dryness.

The yeast staes it will bring more out more of a fruit flavor in your cider. I'll let you know how it goes.

I haven't used Wyeast but I have used White Labs English Cider yeast. It def had more flavor than the batches I used champagne yeast. I found it took 6 months for the flavor to come back.

tristan1220 said:
6 months with the cider yeast?

Yup. Tasted it right away, a few months later and after 6 months. The six months later was much better, more fruit flavor.

I'm testing out a cider now with an ale yeast that has a 9% ABV tolerance- Wyeast West Yorkshire Ale. I've read in some places that some have had success with the use of ale and lager yeasts, especially if you're aiming for a less dry cider. My hope was that it would ferment up to its tolerance while still leaving some sugars leftover, giving me a semi-sweet cider to finish.

Will let you know how it goes!

Back