ideas about blueberry wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjones

Reaction score
i was thinking of making a blueberry wheat, i bought the blue star wheat beer kit from austin hbs and was thinking of just adding some blueberry extract at kegging. it was a last min thought and this is the kit i have on hand. it is a mini mash with 1/2 pound of carapil, 1 1/2 # of 2 row 1# of white wheat and 2# of extra pale ext. and 2 1/4# of wheat ext. would it be good to add the blueberry to this beer or should i get a dif. recipe?

I say go for it. I'm not sure if the base recipe matters too terribly much. I'd probably be more concerned with the yeast. I've had some blueberry american wheats and some weird ones, including Sweetwater's Big Ol' Belgian Blue Balls, a belgian wit. Go for it, just don't over do it.

I tried cherry extract and it tastes like cherry cough syrup.

Oddly, however, Blueberry Extract tastes like...blueberries.

I made a batch of blueberry wheat, adding 2 oz (half a bottle) of blueberry extract. That batch went so fast I had to turn around and make another one.

What I did was make a basic wheat beer, but used US-05 yeast instead of wheat beer yeast. I fermented cool (62*F) to keep the esters to a minimum. I added the extract at kegging.

All of that tends to let the blueberry shine through. It is still not overwhelming, just a little blueberry scent and aftertaste. Very tart, very nice.

:mug:

ok so i didn't get the blueberry extract, but i do have some bitter orange peel and some coriander could i add that to this beer or should i just leave it be as it is?

In a Belgian witbier, coriander and bitter orange peel are added in the last 15 or 10 minutes of the boil. The coriander needs to be cracked (I use a mortar and pestle).

what yeast and hops came with the kit? Can't you just brew it like it was designed?
Belgian wits the 3944 wyeast yeast works well with corriander and the bitter orange

ok so i didn't get the blueberry extract, but i do have some bitter orange peel and some coriander could i add that to this beer or should i just leave it be as it is?

Honestly, this seems like a much better option. And, I'm a fan of blueberries. You just can't go wrong with citrus/corriander in a wit. Just make sure it's a brewer's corriander, not common grocer's strain.

Back