Beersmith coverted recipe and i dont know if its right...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat x nub

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So i made an extract recipe involving rice extract and then when converted to all grain using beersmith it said use 8 lbs of flaked rice. I have never done an AG but will in about a week. But i have flaked rice at my house with me and it looks like if i mill the flaked rice i am going to get a powder like a DME. The recipe has 8 lbs of flaked rice and 1 lb of crystal malt and is AG. Dos this recipe sound logical?? Thanks

You need something with enzymes in there. The flaked rice is the correct substitute for the rice extract, but flaked rice will not convert on it's own. Maybe go half and half with some 2-row or maybe even some 6-row.

Why do you want to make a 100% rice beer anyways?

You need something with enzymes in there. The flaked rice is the correct substitute for the rice extract, but flaked rice will not convert on it's own. Maybe go half and half with some 2-row or maybe even some 6-row.

Why do you want to make a 100% rice beer anyways?

it wasnt suppsoed to be 100%...but i wanted the clean and crisp feel of a rice beer. How bout 4lbs of 2-row and 4 lbs of flaked rice?

EDIT: ok so i started to play around with it and i came up with this (i think it will be better)

5.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 62.50 %
2.00 lb Rice, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 25.00 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)

Back