After Thought

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsayles

Reaction score
Good morning,
Yesterday I brewed a double IPA. Today I want to add yeast energizer and yeast nutrient, I have both, but am unclear how to use it. Do I have to boil or can I just add to wort?

thanks,
Brad

Yeast nutrient is usually added at the same time you pitch the yeast, by just sprinkling it on top of the wort. If your fermentation has already started, particularly if you have krauzen, I'd question the value of it at this point.

Follow-up question for you, El P. Can yeast nutrient be added to the boil for, say, the last 5 minutes or so? Just curious since the YN I bought only told me "how much" to add but not "when" to add. So I erred on the side of caution and tossed it into the brewpot.
Jeff

BOSTONBREWIN' said:
Can yeast nutrient be added to the boil for, say, the last 5 minutes or so?
I don't know the answer to that question...the one time I used it the instructions said sprinkle it on the wort so that's what I did.

BOSTONBREWIN' said:
Follow-up question for you, El P. Can yeast nutrient be added to the boil for, say, the last 5 minutes or so? Just curious since the YN I bought only told me "how much" to add but not "when" to add. So I erred on the side of caution and tossed it into the brewpot.
Jeff

Yes it can be added to the boil. I do this regularly, but also have added it post boil.:)

Back