Fact Checking my LHBS - DME question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WickedLB

Reaction score
Today, I went to my LHBS to pick up ingredients for a Biere de Garde recipe that I have put together. I am hoping to roughly achieve something like Castelain Blond Biere de Garde.

Batch size: 5.0 gallons
Boil: 3.0 avg gallons for 60 minutes updating
Estimated Original Gravity 1.074 (1.066 to 1.077)
Estimated Final Gravity 1.021 (1.018 to 1.022)
Color: 6° SRM / 11° EBC

Malt and Fermentables
8 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract
0.5 lbs Caravienne Malt

Hops (Bitterness 19.6 IBU)
1.0 oz Northern Brewer (8.5 AA) 60min
1.0 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker (3.8 AA) 10min

Yeast: White Labs French Ale (WLP072)

Alcohol: 7.1% A.B.V. 5.5% A.B.W.
Calories: 246 per 12 oz.

At my LHBS I bought 2 - 3 pound bags of Munton's Extra Light DME and, based on the recommendation of the guy at the store, 2 - 1 pound bags of Briess DME Pilsen Light. He said that these were the 1 pound bag equivalent of the Munton's DME.

So here is my question: Is Pilsen light really the same as extra light DME? Pilsen makes me think lighter, like Pilsner. Will I have a DMS if I don't boil the heck out of DMS?

The stuff he sold you is a lot better than Muntons Extra Light. Briess has a lovibond of 2 and the Muntons has a lovibond of 4. The Briess DME is fresher than Muntons. His distributor orders Briess every 2 weeks and Muntons every 6 months.

Forrest

Thanks Forrest.

I noticed that when I replaced the Generic DME I put into Beer Calculus with the Munton's and Breiss the estimates dropped:

Estimated Original Gravity from 1.074 to 1.065
Estimated Final Gravity 1.021 to 1.018
Color from 6° SRM to 5° SRM
Alcohol from 7.1% A.B.V. to 6.3% A.B.V.
Calories from 246 per 12 oz. 216 per 12 oz.

The color drop was due to the Briess, and the ABV due to the Munton's (I had no idea this would happen, so it was interesting). The biggest concern was the SRM dropping out of style guidelines.

I am thinking of adding another 8 oz of Caravienna and/or 4 oz of 60L Crystal to add a bit more body and bump the color back into style.

This sound reasonable?

Latest posts

Back