lactobacillus delbrueckii and airlock activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
I know, I know, airlock activity or lack there of as in this case is not a sign of fermentation.

BUT, i have never used this before. Will lacto bugs create airlock activity?

I've got a batch of Port Barrel Aged Belgian Brown Ale (from Sam Calagione's Extreme Brewing book) with Lactobacillus in the primary right now, and have seen very little airlock activity. As this is my first attempt with the Lactobacillus, I can't say whether or not this is normal, but I'll share my observations so far. Do you have a batch on the go with the Lactobaciilus to compare results?

The fermentation started with White Labs Belgian Golden Ale yeast. Airlock activity had slowed to once every 30sec by day 6. By day 8, airlock activity had pretty much ceased, and I pitched the Lactobacillus delbrueckii. I noticed some airlock activity within 2 hours of pitching the Lacto, but it was very infrequent (maybe a bubble every 2-3 minutes). I kind of suspect this was more due to removing the airlock and dumping the Lacto into the beer (stirring up the original yeast a bit or releasing CO2 from solution). The Lacto has been in there for 10 days now, and if there is any airlock activity, it's infrequent enough that I haven't sat there watching it long enough to time an interval. I'd be interested to hear observations from others who have tried with the Lactobacillus.

Ok, after pitching the lacto on sunday, i forgot to look at it tuesday as was my plan to and got a peek at it yesterday. There was full airlock activity just like yeast were in there munching. Opened it up and saw a really frothy looking krauesen. Pitched the yeast, it sort of sat on top so i shock it up a bit to knock it into the beer and all is well im thinking.

Mmm - 3 days between pitching should make this nice & sour!! Can't wait to see how it comes out!

:off: I checked on the Pacific Gem Bitter last night, and krauesen was crazy big, but starting to drop already. Smelled good, but didn't pick up much hop aroma. I'll be dryhopping it with 0.25oz next week before kegging it.

Ok, after pitching the lacto on sunday, i forgot to look at it tuesday as was my plan to and got a peek at it yesterday. There was full airlock activity just like yeast were in there munching. Opened it up and saw a really frothy looking krauesen. Pitched the yeast, it sort of sat on top so i shock it up a bit to knock it into the beer and all is well im thinking.

So I take it you pitched the Lacto first, then yeast several days later. I did the reverse, so there likely wasn't much sugar left for the lacto, as I didn't get anything like the activity you're describing. Did adding the yeast have any effect on the airlock activity or krausen?

Yeah, we're not getting any airlock activity on the barrel brew we're doing. All contributors fermented their batches, we then blended and added the bugs. Not a peep from the lock in 3ish weeks or so.

I get airlock activity with lacto, however I probably used more species than you. Is that L. delbrueckii ssp. bulgaricus? If it is, it can only ferment lactose.

Here's my oud bruin with several lacto ssp & streptococcus thermophilus:
DSCN0448.jpg

Im not sure if the ssp or subspecies is bulgaricus. Yes I did pitch the bugs 3 full days before yeast, doing this should give me more of a souring character, one that I am looking for.

Latest posts

Back