Playoffs NHL or NBA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course that means having less games, or starting the season early - and it already starts pretty early, so it would never happen. Owners want more games. But the NHL and NBA could benefit from less games, which is why the NFL does so well. Each game actually matters.
I think it was John Madden who said that one reason NFL does so well is that it leaves you wanting more. MLB and NBA over-saturate with games to the point that many/most fans just want the friggin endless season to end so the playoffs can begin (can't speak to NHL because I don't pay any attention to it).

+1 to the NHL. Best sport there is.

It makes my wife mad because the only time I cry is when someone wins the cup.

NHL all the way Baby!!!! I've been a Canuck fan my whole life ... stuck with them even when they had the ugliest Vomit Vee jerseys in the NHL!
I would love to see them finally win a Stanley Cup this year!! GO CANUCKS GO!!!!:mug:

NHL here too - something pretty cool about wearing shorts with my Lightning jersey. Great game here in Tampa last night even though the Pens took it. GO BOLTS!!!!

I didnt say it would change the sport, but it would do better. The NHL playoffs could start right after the superbowl, when sports fans are starved and have nothing to watch but mediocre nba regular season and finish mid march before march madness. Also, the NCAA is somewhat sane, and they have their games on during the day mostly, leaving time for the NHL to have the premiere time slot which is like 9pm at night or later est.

Of course that means having less games, or starting the season early - and it already starts pretty early, so it would never happen. Owners want more games. But the NHL and NBA could benefit from less games, which is why the NFL does so well. Each game actually matters.

Yeah, I hear ya, and agree for the most part. I hear lots of people claim they won't watch the NHL playoffs because the NBA playoffs are going on. I don't think they need fewer games though. It's a long tough season where every point counts. So it may not seem as apparent in November but those games most definitely do count. I watch at least 70 Red Wings regular season games a year (pretty sure I was over 75 this year) so obviously I don't mind how many games they play. Like I said every game in every sport matters (even baseball's 162) but I think college football has the market cornered for the "each game counts the most" argument. I remember watching the Vikings start the season 8-0 and still missing the playoffs. I guess those first 8 didn't count that much.

To Fatcougar: I think those were the ugliest jerseys of all time.

I think it was John Madden who said that one reason NFL does so well is that it leaves you wanting more. MLB and NBA over-saturate with games to the point that many/most fans just want the friggin endless season to end so the playoffs can begin (can't speak to NHL because I don't pay any attention to it).

I tend to agree that baseball has too many teams and too long of a season. Many of these markets don't draw well. Hell, even the Yankees have had tons of empty seats this year.

Like I said every game in every sport matters (even baseball's 162) but I think college football has the market cornered for the "each game counts the most" argument.
The 2010 TCU team would probably disagree. As would several other recent teams (Boise State and Utah) that went undefeated and never got so much as a sniff of a Nat Champ game. An arguement can be made that NO game counts in NCAA football because there is no 'real' champion, just a popularity-contest-winner.

EDIT: The above only applies to Div 1 or BCS or whatever they call it nowadays, the lower levels DO settle it on the field as it should be.

Hockey all the way! I enjoy watching as many Wings games as I can all season. I enjoy the physical play and the ebb and flow of the game.

And after a long tough season, you get a whole 'nother long and even tougher season to decide it all!

Here's a better question for you all. Does your city have a team in each of the playoffs??? My city does :D

I have 3 teams. Lakers, Kings, Ducks.

BTW how is higher ceded Boston fairing against my lower ceded Habs? :p
In other league news, the celtics won't make it past the Heat / Bulls. I don't know what they were smoking when they traded Perkins instead of Big Baby Huey :ban:

I have 3 teams. Lakers, Kings, Ducks.

BTW how is higher ceded Boston fairing against my lower ceded Habs? :p
In other league news, the celtics won't make it past the Heat / Bulls. I don't know what they were smoking when they traded Perkins instead of Big Baby Huey :ban:

Wow. Geography classes must be teaching differently now a days. I never knew Anaheim and Los Angeles were the same city:mug:

Wow. Geography classes must be teaching differently now a days. I never knew Anaheim and Los Angeles were the same city:mug:

Hey, we have the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim! I couldn't believe it when they did that. I guess Orange County doesn't exist.

nhl playoffs at my house. :rockin:
i seem to be going through quite a few homebrews, though, watching my blackhawks trying to choke in the first round. :(

honestly i can say, Ive never watched a full basketball game except for maybe a couple minutes. Find it very boring. Now hockey playoffs is where its at! Nothing like watching the vancouver canucks kick some chicago a$$ and having some homebrew!

cheers!

I just started reading this thread, and given the current situation Vancouver finds itself in this post made me chuckle.

While watching the Red Wings sweep the Coyotes, I was enjoying the last of my blonde ales, and then switched to some porters that I had brewed last last winter.

THUNDER !! KD loaded the team, the fans and the city on hs back and pulls off the win.

Memphis needs to finish off san antonio and let's get round 2 underway!

cclloyd said:
Bolts were 2 and 4 against the Caps in the regular season - should be a good series. Wishing for this beats going home. (See ya Pens!)

The short time off and three games in four days next week may be a factor. Roloson may fall over from exhaustion. Though, it'll likely still look like he was hit with a cannon ball.

We can thank USF commencement for the back to back on Tue/Wed. Thier own arena is being renovated and they had this planned well in advance. Still sucks though. You're right about Roli - I hope it doesn't catch up but it likely will and our 2nd (Smith).... well enough said there.

Hmmm.... lookie there. Roli's a stud and the Bolts are up 2-0 with the next two at home. It ain't over 'til it's over but I like our chances.

Back