Think I'm getting an infection....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunhog

Reaction score
Ok I am on day 10 of fermentation on a American Brown Ale. Gravity readings are perfect at 1.011. It looks like I might be developing an infection, or at least the top of the beer is beginning to look a lot like an infected beer I had last year. So do I have any choice but to ride it out......??? What if I racked it right now being careful not to disturb the top layer? I am probably dreaming but I don't want to lose my beer!! Thanks. Al

Pics would help. If it's mold just on the surface there is a chance you can rack the beer from under the surface and possibly save it. But there's no way to know for sure without some sort of identificatoin.

ive heard of guys just scooping surface mold off without a problem.you may have to lose a bit of beer for assurance but its a sacrifice worth it to save the batch. have you made this beer before? some beers make odd bubbles during fermentation that could look like an infection too so yes pics would be best.

Back