Need advice from the guru's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanyP321

Reaction score
Hey all,
Well after building a diy projector, putting up some fences and building a garage and a new pc, I decided it was time for a new and quite possibly tougher project. So I pulled out the brewbuddy larger kit that I was given for xmas and started reading (lots). I'm pretty good at research and don't mind learning before I start but was so impressed with your answers to some other newbie Q's that I decided to head here for some help.

SO here is my first problem. The brewbuddy larger kit advices a fermentation temperature of 23c/73.4f and then a slightly a cooler temp for clearing and dispensing. But nearly EVERYTHING I have read states that larger should be fermented at much lower, fridge like temps. Do I ignore the instructions? Have they given me some super yeast? Is it really going to taste like larger? Did they give me ale instructions?

I am not in any rush so I suppose my ultimate question is, is it safe to drop the temp to something more “larger-ish” in the knowledge that it will EVENTUALLY ferment? Or could a cooler temp kill it?

Thanks in advance guys (and gals?)
Sean

A quick check of the beerbuddy website I can't tell what yeast they provided.
If they supplied lager yeast it can ferment at cooler temps. Ale yeast can't.

Find out what kind of yeast you have and you're all set.
Does your heart have any info on it?

I'm assuming you mean "lager" and not "larger", but you are right, that temp is too warm for a traditional lager beer. It will ferment at those temperatures, but the flavor profile will be much different (look up Steam beer). As a matter of fact, that temperature is a little too warm for most ales as well.

My advice: 1) find out what type of yeast you have, which should tell you your best fermentation temp range (post back here if you can find a name, but no temps) and 2) Start your research here

Forgive me - of course I mean lager:) A mixture of dyslexia and...lager! I'll post what info I have on the yeast tomorrow as it is late here in the UK. Thank you and look forward to your response!

ok there is no info on the yeast provided (suprise suprise). Should I just go for an average lager temp or follow the silly wrong instructions??
Thanks Sean

My opinion is if you think the instructions are wrong you probably now have more knowledge then they are givign you credit for. My feeling is that most brewing kit instructions are for the uninformed or lazy.

And THAT is dyslexia - mixing gn with ng and teh with the!! Welcome to my world. AND - I'm a writer LOL

thanks mate,
I think I am going to put it in my shed. It's about 50F in there during the day. So if it IS lager yeast... can it be too cold - or will the process just take longer?

Also I have an airlock but the lid does not have a hole...which means the manufacturer doesn't think you need one. WQould I be bst making a hole and putting one in?

Thanks again

Since the kit maker knows what kind of yeast and you don't, I would suggest using the temperature in the directions.
I think the manufacturers assume that most people won't have access to a room that is the right temperature for lager yeast.
Therefore, the 'lager' kits are shipped with ale yeast.

If you have the tools and a grommet, an airlock is nice to have.
Counting bubbles is hours of pure entertainment for some of us.:cross:
If not, you can just place the lid loosely to release CO2 and keep dust out..

Yes, and a grommet would be good too.
Optimally you want airtight so no air will leak in as the CO2 is displaced.
If your yeast packet has anything written on it, post that here.
I have Coopers Kit and they include ale yeast with the lager they send with the kit (and "brewing sugar" which is dextrose) so my lager is warmer (and therefore not TRUE lager and will prolly have some cidery or off-tastes).
I believe I read here that lager yeast 'loves' temps between 45-55 so it sound like you have a good idea and should be fine with it out there.
Be sure to do that hole tho! CO2 pressure will build up and y'all have had enough bombs o'er there you don't need no more.

added: When I say airtight, I mean besides the airlock.
Take your airlock to the hardware store and pick a grommet that should fit snug around the stem of the airlock. Then drill a hole in the lid/top that the grommet will fit snugly, pop in the airlock and yur set! :)

Its not uncommon for lower quality kit manufacturers to try to create a lager like beer using ale yeast at more homebrew friendly temperatures. Unfortunately the lager name on your kit is just marketing.

My guess is that they have a kit that has ingredients similar to a lager but an ale yeast making it more user friendly. If you want to do the kit as sold then ferment it at temperatures between 62F and 75F. Lower is better. If you want to make a lager then buy a lager yeast and ferment at around 50F. Saf-lager is a decent dry yeast that you can buy for a couple dollars. For around $6 there are a variety of liquid lager yeasts.

Craig

thanks for all the input guys. I'm worried now. I don't really have the space for it inside. Thats one of the reasons I wanted to lager! Too late to send it back! The wort is cooling:(
If it is ale yeast (BA*T*&*S) will it be too cold outside for it?

If you've already pitched the supplied ale yeast, go ahead and put your fermenter outside, where you prefer, in the 50 degree and < temperatures.

It won't hurt anything for a day or two. The ale yeast will simply slow, and go dormant. Get a packet of Lager yeast from your local home brew supply, and re-pitch it on top of the ale yeast.

The most active yeast will consume the other yeast, and voila!

Pogo

youre the man!! Thank you. Would I be able to leave it in doors until I get the new yeast. In other words if fermenting has begun is it too late to add lager yeast and then put it outside?

If you put it outside now, the ale yeast will slow down their fermenting and eventually go dormant. That's what you're hoping will happen, so you can then pitch the lager yeast at the lower temps and have them take over. If you leave the fermenter indoors, with the higher temps, the ale yeast will just continue to work. Best bet is to put it somewhere cold to shut down the ale yeast if you're set on having a lager.

Hope that helps,

Terje

actually the reason - I asked is coz it has already started fermenting!! Must have got his daddy's (me) baby making genes;)

Think I might just leave this one in the kitchen (is it going to smell?? - I have areally small place).

Ive already ordered the correct yeast and another bucket. this is fun!! :)

Back