Ratty old kegs for giveaway / sale on the cheap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Focus

Reaction score
Hey all. I've got a co-worker that's looking for a keg - a full 15-gal type - that he can use for weight training (although why you'd want to use a keg for any purpose other than that for which it's intended is beyond me). Obviously it doesn't need to be in any kind of good shape - just capable of holding sand, rocks, or whatever else weightlifters put in them. I'm talking one that's well past it's use as a keggle or any other useful brewing purpose.

Does anybody have an old one that they'd be willing to part with or know where we could find one?
Focus

Good luck finding one for free. They're worth ~ $30 at a scrap yard.

Check craigslist.org to see if someone's trying to get rid of one in your area.

I'll suggest the plastic drum...

As far as a keg, he's willing to pay about 50-60 bucks for one, I think. I didn't really expect he'd be able to get one for free.

Any takers?

Focus

for 50 - 60 bucks, why not just go buy some weights? What's so special about using a keg? Maybe he's training for World's Strongest Man competitions.

True it is blasphemy, but whatcha gonna do?

I think he does want it for some worlds strongest man training or something like that. I don't understand lifting anything more than 12 oz unless it's one of those special circumstances when you might have to life as much as 20-22 oz.

Back