Freakin' nervous. First brew is tomorrow!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I jammed a solid stopper in the carboy and shook the crap out of it. Then used a hex wrench and a tank of oxygen to purge the head space and shook it some more.

Ruh roh. That could be an issue. Hopefully not though. Next time, put some dry ice in water and pour the steam onto the beer. CO2 good O2 bad. Plus, playing with dry ice is fun.

Ruh roh. That could be an issue. Hopefully not though. Next time, put some dry ice in water and pour the steam onto the beer. CO2 good O2 bad. Plus, playing with dry ice is fun.

Not really. When you first start fermentation, you want a lot of oxygen in the beer. Thats the whole point of shaking it or stirring like crazy or using an oxygenation stone.

lol. Yeah, I wasn't thinking clearly there. I was reading 'purging head space' and 'oxygen' and 'shaking' together and my ability to read and comprehend went out the window.

Well, 8 days and still bubbling and churning away. It's starting to slow down, but I still have yeast doing loop the loops in the fermenter.

I was aware that there would be motion during fermentation, but I was unprepared for just how vigorous it is.

It'll turn out awesome ........

at least good enough that you will obsess over brewing for the next year lol.

Well, I pulled a sample and it's 1.015. Tastes like a grand cru, with a little bit of a pissy aftertaste (probably the globs of krausen that were in the test jar).
I put the lock back on and it's still bubbling.

Swmbo likes it too, which might be a problem.

Latest posts

Back