No Krausen. Help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernie Diamond

Reaction score
Just brewed an AG saison with a big dose of Wyeast 1388 leftover from a Belgian Holiday that we just moved from the primary. When I pitched the yeast, I got action inside of an hour and a thick head of globby krausen inside five. 24 hours later, there is nothing. I still have lots of action in the airlock and the yeast is absolutely soaring in the fermentor but the surface of the beer is totally flat.

What, if anything do I need to worry about? Is this cause for concern? What could be responsible?

A few variables;

- Ambient temp is basement around 70
- Threw a brew belt around the carboy to boost temps a little more
- Noticed some coriander seeds in there. Oils affecting it?
- Pitched a huge dose of some very hungry yeast

i once had a big porter that only had a 1/4" krausen during the entire fermentation.

got 80% AA and the beer was fine.

I would say don't worry about it. And if if does take a gravity reading. You did say you pitched a large dose of yeast so it could be done already. Take a gravity reading.

I've learned from similiar threads (and mainly from Revvy's responses) that the Airlock and Krausen sightings mean squat compared to your gravity readings.

It clearly isn't finished, though if the yeast is still churning, right? It looks like a hurricane in there.

The hurricane has abated. Took a reading. Went from .048 to .010 in 24 hours. This was a damn strong yeast. Guess that explains where the krausen went.

Thanks all for walking me through that five hours of brief panic.

Back