Tripel Karmeliet partial mash kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradneal

Reaction score
First, this may be a ridicules request, but I'll throw it out there anyway...

I am still acquiring my home brewing hardware so I'm still doing extract kits. But I would like to find a kit or partial mash recipe that would get me even remotely close to Karmeliet Triple.

Austin HB has a partial mash kit called "Tripel Karmeliet (Brouwerij Bosteels)". Has anyone out there tried it, and if so, how does it compare to the real deal?

Thanks,
Brad

...looking forward to a response. I had some bad ass Tripel Karmeliet in Belgium and would love to be able to make something half as good at home.

I would have to say that the Tripel Karmeliet is hands down the best beer I have ever had in my life.

Alhtough I seriously doubt that a partial mash kit will get there, if it's even close, I would be pretty thrilled. With shipping the kit runs almost $75, but again, if it's close, I'm in.

Did you end up brewing AHB kit? I'd love to hear how it turned out. Tripel Karmeliot is one of my all-time favorite brews.

Hi Kman,
Actually, the one I did was the NB partial mash version. You can find it here: http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/carmelite-triple-grain-tripel-kit.html

It did turn out very well, but I wouldn't put it up against its commercial brethren. I will definitely do this one again, but I'll bottle it rather than keg. It requires more C02 than the others that I've done, and I never was able to get it regulated properly.

So I'll reserve final judgment until I can give it another shot and try it from the bottle.

But I'll give it a hearty 1.5 thumbs up, as it is a very good beer and definitely approaches the style of our beloved Belgian Karmeliet Triple.

Please keep us posted if you decide to give this one a try.

-Brad

why did you choose the Northern Brewer kit over the AHB one? I tried Karmeliet at a cool little beer bar in Bruges called t Poatersgat and fell in love. That weekend we had stumbled across the Bruges beer festival (and literally stumbled away from it!) and of all the fantastic beers I tried there, the karmeliet ended up my favorite. I've always been a huge Belgian beer fan, so finding that festival was one of the highlights of my life.

I'd love to try and brew this weekend. Wonder if i could put together an equivalent kit at my local HBS?

After having Triple Karmeliet numerous times and loving it, I purchased the Austin Homebrew Clone. It has been in the fermenter for 6 days. The SG was 1.022 pretty close to the 1.018 we are looking for but will leave in primary for a while longer. What I am here to report is having a taste from the reading I was blown away at how good it is. Obviously flat but had the characteristics of the Triple Karmeliet. I was a bit skeptical, but am so pleased with what it has turned out so far. I will wait until I'm at at least 1.020 before transferring to secondary. If anyone has an interest I'll keep you posted. Does anyone know of a great La Chouffe clone?

What a fantastic beer....one of the reasons I ever started to brew. Tried a few "clones" of this I did based from info I gathered around the internet, never ever even close.

I was wondering how this came out? Is it pretty close to Triple Karmeliet? Any changes you made, or would make?

After having Triple Karmeliet numerous times and loving it, I purchased the Austin Homebrew Clone. It has been in the fermenter for 6 days. The SG was 1.022 pretty close to the 1.018 we are looking for but will leave in primary for a while longer. What I am here to report is having a taste from the reading I was blown away at how good it is. Obviously flat but had the characteristics of the Triple Karmeliet. I was a bit skeptical, but am so pleased with what it has turned out so far. I will wait until I'm at at least 1.020 before transferring to secondary. If anyone has an interest I'll keep you posted. Does anyone know of a great La Chouffe clone?

I am a bit on the fence on this kit. Although it has many of the characteristics of the tripel Karmeliet I have a bit of an alcohol taste to this batch. The only thing I can think of is my pitching temp. I ended up pitching my yeast at 85 degrees. I am finding as they are aging it is melding and mellowing out a bit. Lets hope time is the ultimate healer. Another big difference with this batch is the color. I have found most if not all kits are difficult to keep color as light as originals. Any advise is certainly welcome. All in all it is a very good beer, but we are all looking for perfection and a mirror of the original. I will post again as I taste them.

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to order it and give it my best. You are absolutely correct, with extract kits, the color is always darker than the original for light colored beers. As long as the taste is close to the original, I am usually pretty happy.

I have found most if not all kits are difficult to keep color as light as originals. Any advise is certainly welcome. QUOTE]

When are you adding your malt extract? Is it at the beginning of the boil? If you are, try adding just a little bit (20-30%) at the beginning for the bittering hops utilization, and then add the rest of it towards the end. Its the carmelization of the malt being in the heat for the full boil that makes the beer darker. Give that a shot:mug:

Back