Lager Problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewstead

Reaction score
I did a Rauchbier All-Grain about 4-5 months back, did all the right steps for producing a good lager, i have a chest freezer with a regulator for controlling the temp. I did the D-rest and then lager for about 4 months. I pulled it out last night to let it warmup before i bottle and the beer looks great clear as glass but when i woke up to bottle it its bubbling like crazy almost like it carbonated i took a reading a i couldn't read it due to the bubbles. What should i do i am scared to bottle due to bombs, should i just wait for the bubbling to stop, this is my 2nd lager and was wondering what would cause this? Thanks for your help!
Problem

Lagers hold a lot more CO2 in solution than ales due to the low lagering temp. When you pulled it out to warm up, a lot of CO2 comes out of solution due to the temp change. It will eventually flatten out. You could bottle now, but you might have a hard time with priming amounts and intended volumes of CO2 when you enter your beer temp into the priming calculation. Until the CO2 equilibriates to room temp, the temp to use for priming calculations (and therefore how much CO2 is already in the beer) will be somewhere between lagering temp and room temp... a pretty broad range to nail down.

Back