Soda Keg Cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick79brew

Reaction score
The day has finally come....to pour that first pint of my Amber. I open up the tap and a beautiful Amber orange liquid hits my glass. The head forms into a perfect off white blanket, my mouth waters like pavlovs dogs knowing that this will be the first pint of many to come. I dip my nose just above the head, the sweet smell of malts and cascade hops float through the air. I raise the pint to my mouth, carbon bubbles lightly popping on my nose. The beer flows past my tounge, carmel, vanillia, citrus, and.... OLD SODA, hit my taste buds!!! What the hell?
I purchased the old cornis from my brew shop, replaced the rings, rinsed in hot water, soaked for about 5 min in O2, rinsed, soaked in sanitizer, rinsed and kegged. Does anyone have and great cleaning methods for getting that damn soda flavor out? Im considering a longer soak, or maybe just buying new kegs.
thanks,
nick

on tap : "Soda Pop" Amber
on tap: Fuggle Red
2ndary : Dunkel #1
In planning: Poke Out Your Eye Pale

Did you remove the tubes and clean them along with the O-rings inside the plugs? You may also have to replace the poppet valves. A good trick is to fill the keg with water, pressurize it to 25 psi for a couple days, then run the fizzy water out through the party tap. I do this to clean my taps as well.

The o-ring will make a huge difference. The three sets of o-rings that I replaced after a couple of months still smell like coke and sprite......HMM...Why have I not just thrown them out.....OH RIGHT.........I KEEP EVERYTHING!!

IGOR

Can you tell what kind of soda it was??? For some reason root beer does not clean out of corny kegs as easily as other sodas, or so I've heard. I'm pretty sure you need to use some diluted vineger to get rid of the root beer taste. Someone out there correct me if I'm wrong, my memory isn't positive on this.

The instructions I got with my stuff says after cleaning the carboy, fill it with water along with a cup of baking soda. Let this sit for a day then rinse well. This only needs to be done once when you first get the keg.
And I agree. Replace all the O-rings and clean the dip tube.

I think Dr. Pepper is the worst! I've cleaned the keg & tubes, replaced the O-rings and poppets. Still stinks! The solution was to put Revenge! in it. Revenge! is a blackberry cider, best served cold. It tops DP.

Hi folks. My first post here :mug:

I've got the same problem with the soda taste staying in the keg (one I had root beer in, the other a cream soda). Did either the vinegar of the baking soda work out?

Thanks in advance.

once those o-rings hit soda they are done - you can do whatever you want to them they will smell forever. they might smell fine after a good cleaning but reassemble the keg and wait a day the smell will return!

toss ALL the orings (yes even the lid even though it never touches the soda or beer really), scrub all dip tubes WELL internally with a brush, if your dip tubes are plastic they could be the issue as well.

$3 new orings it is a no brainer IMO - better than a bad batch and they will last you many many tasty batches.

Latest posts

Back