co2 regulator problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the main valve can be open all the way , there is no difference between just slightly and completely

the t-bar valve should be able to be screwed out until there is zero pressure coming from the regulator. adjust this to whatever pressure you want to beer at. look at a co2 volume chart to determine what pressure and temperature equals how much co2 disolved.

foaming is because of one of these...
-your lines/faucet/glass is too warm and is causing CO2 to come out of the liquid
-your pour technique is poor
-your beer is overcarbonated

thanks
t-bar is as far out as it can go without unscrewing
don't think foaming is any of those alternatives
the beer simply comes out super-fast
could that be overcarbonation
or do i need to find some way to relieve the pressure?

thanks
t-bar is as far out as it can go without unscrewing
don't think foaming is any of those alternatives
the beer simply comes out super-fast
could that be overcarbonation
or do i need to find some way to relieve the pressure?

My guess is that the beer is over-carbed, the serving pressure is too high and your regulator is not functioning properly. This is assuming you have bled off the excess pressure in the keg. You should be able to easily relieve some of the keg pressure to slow the pour. If the beer is over-carbed, the pressure can creep back up to near the previous level as more gas comes out of solution.

Try this:

1. Disconnect the gas from the keg.
2. Relieve the keg pressure completely
3. Back out the "T" handle all the way. (I assume this is the regulator adjusting handle)
4. Re-connect the gas to the keg
5. Turn the "T" handle clockwise just enough to move the low pressure gauge needle a tiny bit. I'm talking like only 1 or 2 psi.
6. Open the tap and attempt to pour a beer. Turn the "T" handle clockwise to increase pressure until the beer is dispensed at the desired rate. Go slowly when increasing the serving pressure.
7. You may need to bleed of exceessive keg pressure multiple times over a number of days to get it where you want it if it's way over-carbed.
8. Balance your system so that the serving pressure matches the carbonation pressure.
9. Check that your CO2 tank is not empty or very nearly so.
10. Check that your regulator is operating properly.

thanks for your help
not sure just how to relieve keg pressure
there is no pressure relief valve on the regulator
if i disconnect it from the keg to the halfway position, i get some pressure relief and a handful of beer spits out, which suggests to me there's more pressure there than it needs
should i just repeat that process?

There should be a pressure relief valve on the lid of the keg if it is a ball lock type. There are several different types of relief valve. There is normally a pull ring or lever on the valve. Pin lock type kegs may have a pressure relief valve without a ring or lever. This type cannot be manually operated and in that case you must use a small screwdriver or something similar to push in the poppet on the gas-in post. A commercial type keg will normally have the relief valve on the coupler.

This is a corny keg lid with a ring type PR valve
cornelius-keg-lid-new.jpg

If the beer is way over-carbed and cold, it may take some time to bleed off the excess pressure. It's then typically a matter of relieving the pressure multiple times over a day or two until the beer pours well and has the desired carb level. At that point you can then connect the regulator and set it to your serving pressure of something like 11 or 12 psi (depends on your beer line length etc).

i think you're giving me some good advice here, but i'm stuck on the pressure-relief question. this is a commercial heinekin keg. there are no rings or levers. and my c02 regulator has no pressure-relief valve. just twist - lock to attach it
is there some trick to releasing pressure from a keg like this?
thanks

ok, then on the side of the keg tap coupler, there should be a relief valve with a ring attached. with the CO2 off, and the keg coupled, you should be able to pull that to relief pressure.

That said, what diameter and length of line do you have from the keg to your faucet? Have you had a keg on there previously?

The Sankey keg couplers come in a variety of styles, but most will have a pressure relief valve. Here's a pic of one. The PR valve is the thing with the pull ring showing:

image_956.jpg

Hook the coupler up to the keg with the gas line off of the coupler. There is a one way valve under the gas side beer nut you might have to temporarily remove.

Back