Wyeast 3787 - Trappist High Gravity yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
Two quick questions on this train. First, is the fermentation supposed to make a strong odor? We're talking a mostly sulfury with a hint of butt and feet sort of smell. Maybe potatoes too. Though it sounds like a personal problem, I've never had that odor from a fermentation before, though I do know yeast sometimes produce it.

Second, the description for this yeast says that it benefits from incremental feeding to dry it out. Would I be able to throw in some candi sugar syrup periodically to do this or would it not dissolve correctly? Finally, if I did, how much would I want to introduce at a time to a 6 gallon batch? Thanks!

I used it and it definitely had an odor during fermentation. Mine fermented vigorously and blew out the top. I afixed a blow off tube and then it really smelled. The blowoff tube water was funky and had the smell.

I did do the incremental feeding for this yeast. There was a thread about this that I posted to. I'll try to find it...

No Problem...Good Luck with the fermentation.

If I was going to add the candi sugar incrementally, I'd would make the initial wort be all the malt. I would also map out the additions by calculating based on the desired final volume and OG. I would boil up the candi sugar in some water (like 1 .lb candi sugar per pint of water - Or whatever minimum water volume is necessary to dissolve the sugar), cool and add in. I would stay with 2 .lbs max of candi sugar for the batch. That's just my two cents...

That sounds about right. Hopefully the need to boil my candi sugar in water won't offset any benefits for the FG or drying out. Oh well, this is my first time doing this sort of thing and I figure that should be sufficient. :D

Hopefully the need to boil my candi sugar in water won't offset any benefits for the FG or drying out.

It shouldn't as long as you plan for the volume increases. For example, you want 6 gallon yield and lets say you add two 1 pint additions that each have a 1 lb of candi sugar. Then the I'd put in the fermentor 5.75 gallons at the right gravity so that when I add the pint additions, I'll come out at 6 total gallons and the gravity. A little math for you..ha ha ha...Beersmith may have this as a calculation option, I don't remember.

Back