ESB and a whoo hoo!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwmgdman

Reaction score
Hi all I'm off work today and get to finally brew my ESB I've been working up for a while. And the quick whoo hoo part, I got engaged last night and am pretty excited, I guess this batch now becomes the celebritory beer, let's hope it turns out. If you have a minute glance at my recipe and make sure I'm not too far off:

Brewer: Justin Sieglaff Email: -
Beer: - Style: English Strong (Extra Special) Bitter
Type: Extract w/grain Size: 5.0 gallons
Color: 26 HCU (~14 SRM)
Bitterness: 51 IBU
OG: 1.058 FG: 1.014
Alcohol: 5.7% v/v (4.4% w/w)
Grain: 8 oz. American crystal 10L
12 oz. American crystal 20L
3 oz. American chocolate
Boil: minutes SG 1.083 3.5 gallons
6 lb. Light dry malt extract
Hops: 1.0 oz. Challenger (6.9% AA, 60 min.)
1.0 oz. Kent Goldings (6.2% AA, 60 min.)
1.0 oz. Kent Goldings (6.2% AA, 30 min.)
1.0 oz. Kent Goldings (aroma)
Yeast: WYeast 1098 British Ale Yeast

I've already got the ingredients so I'm not looking for wholesale changes, just anything that might look wacky. I've got a lot of Crystal going into it b/c I need to use up by 10 and 20.......I don't think that will be a problem, my BU:GU ratio is around 0.88. (The Crystal and Chocolate will be steeped.)

Thanks,
Justin

Also adding Irish moss 15mins left in boil

Congratulations, dude. I got engaged on Christmas Eve and brewed "blueberry bride" to celebrate ( a blueberry pale ale). May you have a happy engagement and an even happier life with her...and your ESB, for that matter. :)

Thanks for the input. The reason I added the chocolate was b/c a brew pub by me has an ESB on the darker end that I love so I thought chocolate was the way to go. In Designing Great Beers it shows chocolate being uncommon, but occasionally it happens, so I figured why not.

Latest posts

Back